Paralles or VM Ware

Reaction score
Which do you reckon is best to buy to run on an imac with leopard 4gb ram

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which do you reckon is best to buy to run on an imac with leopard 4gb ram

Both offer a trial copy for free download. Download them one at a time and try each out. Choose the one you like.

If you decide on purchasing one, don't buy it direct. Look around on the web for the best deal. Stay away from eBay or Craig's list though. I purchased a copy of VM Ware at a substantial discount with rebate from Smith-Micro.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.4 Ghz, Core 2 duo, 4Gb RAM, 320 GB HD
Reply: Parallels or VMWare

I've tried both Parallels and VMWare Fusion and It's really a user choice, but I do like that VMWare allows you to go out to it's library and download other OS's to try out under VMWare like Kubuntu, Red Hat, etc...Again personal choice. I currently have A Macbook Pro 15.4" Running OS X Leopard, Windows XP (Bootcamp), Windows XP (VMWare Image, Ubuntu 8.0.4 VMWare image) I love it. I do recommend getting 4gb of memory if you want to really do it up right.

;P

Reaction score
Definitely download the trial versions and play with them. You didn't specify what you were planning on running, but I think that as far as running Windows XP or Vista, the two are essentially the same. Different user interfaces, different aspects appeal to different folks, but its really a style pick between them. I think a slight majority of people on the forum have an equally slight preference for the Parallels interface but others prefer Fusion (like me, after trying both).

If you are planning on working with any other operating systems, doing development, stuff like that - VMWare has more tools and it's appliance library is very impressive. I am using it to run XP and 3 different Linux versions just for kicks ... :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.