I can see the wireless network but can't get onto any websites

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm house-sitting for a friend with wireless internet. We've both got macs, mine's a macbook pro running OSX 10.4 & my friend has got a Netgear wireless router in the house which I'm trying to connect through.

Before my friend left the country he had his macbook set up with wireless internet access no problem. I've now moved in having never used wireless before thinking it'd be easy to set up - alas not much luck so far!

I've got the airport switched on, I've connected to the wireless network by entering the password he left me. The signal's strong but for some reason I can't access any websites.

Is there something I'm not doing right?
Do I need to find out the IP address of the wireless router & enter them in my network settings somewhere?

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers

Reaction score
It should be fairly simple, you definitely do not need to know or enter router numbers. The fact that you got on board to the wireless access point with the wireless password should mean you are right on target. What IP address are you getting (System Preferences, Network, TCP/IP)? Can you put an straight IP address into a web browser? Try this:
Report back in!

OP
T
Reaction score
Got it fixed now, cheers for your help. Ended up digging out an old airport express & using that instead of the router. Worked first time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.