Help Networking with windows

Reaction score
Hi

I am a Mac newbie. I have 3 windows Vista in a network within a workgroup all connected wireless.

I cannot access the windows PC. Can somebody head me to a link, I have been searching for hours. It's Macbook Air, Version 10.5.4.

I have tried to connect using smb://192.168.2.4 but it ain't connecting?:(

How can I add the windows workgroup on the Mac, maybe that's the problem, then I can go connect to server? I read somework, there's should a SMB tab in Network folder, where I can add the workgroup, but I cannot find it?
:Oops:

Is there a graphical way of setting the network?

Is there a way to connect the MAC to the windows workgroup so to be discovered automatically?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB Hard drive, Mac Mini 1.5 Intel Core Solo 512Mb Ram
did u go to Settings>Sharing>File Sharing and then enable file sharing and click on Options to enable smb?

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi there

Done the following

System preference/Sharing/

Enable file File sharing, Printing Sharing
Remote Login
Bluetooth Sharing

Share Folder = Bad Boy user Badboy, Users, Everyone Read& Write

Then click options

Checked Share files and folders using AFP

Check files and folders using SMB

Then I tried to connect to this vista computer, this Vista is on the workgroup GOYA..

smb://192.168.2.4

Getting connection Failed
The Server may not exist or is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address.

The finder cannot complete the operation because in smb://192.168.2.4 could not be read or written.

Public folder sharing & File sharing is active on the PCs.

Do I need to put that windows Worggroup somewhere in SMB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB Hard drive, Mac Mini 1.5 Intel Core Solo 512Mb Ram
OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for that link.

But unfortunately, no gpedit.msc on my vista, and am will not know how to hack the registry? Some guys below had the same problem :(

what a bummer

Thanks anyway

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/13/25292-enable-file-sharing-between-windows-vista-mac-os-x.html[/QUOTE]
mattmac

Old 11-04-2007, 02:22 AM
Regular

Group: Regulars

Why can't my vista (Home Premium) find the gpedit.msc file

Old 11-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Regular

Group: Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrldigitalmedia View Post
Why can't my vista (Home Premium) find the gpedit.msc file
I think you'll find gpedit is only available for business oriented use and not in home or basic versions. You can still achieve the results by hacking the registry.

Reaction score
Maybe I'm late and your problem is already solved but in any case I can tell that connecting to a Vista share has been very easy by typing smb://192.168.2.4/c (where c is the name assigned to the disk C share in Vista) in Finder->Go->Go to Server, provided that an account with the same user/password exists on the two computers.
Unfortunately I'm still not able to do the opposite: connect to a Mac OSX 10.5.5 share from Vista: File sharing is checked and SMB is allowed in the MAC firewall and in the File Sharing options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.