• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac-Forums vs MacRumors Forums vs Official Apple Forum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Which site do you like best?

Here's what I have to say:
Mac-Forums: Quick responses - I usually get a response within a few hours
MacRumors Forums: People are friendlier - I've been yelled at here many times for stupid mistakes.
Official Apple Forum: No experience

Opinions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Really? I find that this place is definitely friendlier. It can get quite rowdy over at Mac-Rumors.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Why are you posting a thread basically insulting the staff here at Mac Forums?

We do not yell at users here and only warn when the user breaks the forum rules that you agree to when you join Mac Forums.

I am not putting down any other forums by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
MacRumors Forums: People are friendlier

Seriously? That's about the opposite opinion of almost everyone here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
This is my one and only mac forum :D I get way faster responses and the other sites just aren't quite as organized and functional as this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Which site do you like best?

Mac-Forums: Quick responses - I usually get a response within a few hours
MacRumors Forums: People are friendlier - I've been yelled at here many times for stupid mistakes.
Official Apple Forum: No experience

Opinions?

I would actually switch those first two. Most of the differences between MacRumors and Mac-Forums stem from the fact that the former has a lot more users due to being part of a popular news website whereas the latter is a smaller community where we tend to get acquainted with each other to some extent. As for the official Apple forums... no comment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Apples official forums are great for technical help. Just don't express an opinion about anything and you'll be ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
This is my one and only mac forum :D I get way faster responses and the other sites just aren't quite as organized and functional as this!

Well put, I agree 100%

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
You can get away with a little more rowdiness on Mac-Rumors I think. If you put the three on a continuum in terms of technical feedback, friendliness and the ability to express opinions freely without moderation, then I think this forum is the best for the first and second, but is probably more strictly moderated than Mac-Rumors. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6182126&highlight=STFU#post6182126

To be honest, I think that's pretty typical, and something you'd never see here (thank goodness). Check out post #637. On the official Apple forums, that whole thread would be immediately deleted, and here it'd be closed with a warning. In that sense, this forum tows 'the party line' more. And as you can see from the thread I linked to, there is a very good reason for that. ;D

I've spent years on forums where almost anything goes, and in the end nothing can get discussed because there are too many grudges and issues - I much prefer this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Not trying to pick on you, but when you make posts like this one...
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118299
...you're kind of asking for some tough treatment. And I think the people there were very, very patient with you given how exclamatory you were.

Just an example; I'm really not trying to be critical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I use four Mac forums, two (ignoring Apple) are mentioned and I tend to agree with the comments about MacRumors, there are some feisty folk there. However Mac-Forums is always my first port-of-call, and I find it to be the most amenable.

Does anyone else use these?
http://macosx.com/forums/
http://forums.macosxhints.com/
The former is, like M-F, a friendly site; the latter seems to me to be where boffins, gurus and intellectual types congregate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
I agree the friendliness has room for improvement! For now I go to Mac Rumors for Mac News and here for all my forums.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I agree the friendliness has room for improvement! For now I go to Mac Rumors for Mac News and here for all my forums.

Be sure to check out our 'Apple Rumors and Reports' forum for news. Our 'MF News Bot' automagically scours all of the best Mac news sites, which takes much of the work out of finding the best news, since it's all compiled here.

While Mac Rumors does a great job with their editorial content, I think you'll find that both the breadth & depth of our news reporting makes it a "one stop shop". :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Use all three with no problems, here is the first choice. If you are not happy here that is easily fixed, move on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I can't even remember the lat time I logged into my acct at MacRumors, it's probably been deleted by now. I also can't imagine why anyone would resurrect a 3 year old thread like this. Really. Guess I'm just one of the "rude" ones.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
MacRumors is a wierd, pale blue colour, and its so busy its impossible to have a conversation. Plus, I dont care much for rumours.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.