• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Returning something I bought in Ebay. Who moves first?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
For the first time after many purchases on Ebay, I got something that wasn't as described and I'm returning it to the seller. So far the seller is fine with it, but seems to expect me to return the product before I get the refund.

IMHO, I had to entrust in the seller and send money first, so I feel it's their turn to send money before product. Also, because the product wasn't as described, they've essentially broken my trust and I don't want to send it back before I get my money back.

Anyone have experience or an opinion on this?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I have been through this several times... You will have to send it back before you get your refund make sure you use a tracking when you ship it. Even if you file a claim (which I don't recommend doing) Paypal will still make you ship it back before you get the refund... Your seller seems more reasonable than most,It doesn't seem like you have anything to worry about.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
If you don't trust him maybe you shouldn't return it. You could sell it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4
I'm not sure there is 'Who does what first rule' in these cases - although I could be wrong. I usually am!

However, when I sold a mobile (cell) phone about eighteen months ago, and the guy wasn't happy with it, I refunded his money. But I DID ask him to send back the phone first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
The sheer fact that the guy is willing to refund is a big plus... I never refund for anything regardless... I would say your in a good situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I would have thought you'd have to send the item back before you get a refund. That's how it is when you return anything else.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The fact that the items wasn't as described means the person is at least a little dishonest. Despite how things normally work, I still strongly feel since the seller was in the wrong I should be reimbursed first. Seems like common sense to me. The person did offer a refund, but also offered to give me a relatively small amount back for the trouble. There's a chance that this person was cordial at first hoping I would bite at the discount, but I didn't and I haven't yet heard back from them.

I suppose if I send it signature required or something that I'll have something to take to Ebay/Paypal if I don't get my money, but it just seems like common sense that the first move should be theirs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
The way I always look at it is how you do things at a store. You pick out what you want. Then when you pay they give you what you bought. When you have to return it you give it back and then they check it and give you your money back. I assume that is what this guy is doing.

For all he knows you are a person who bought a product, sent the moeny to get him to send the product, then you as for a refund and you'll send the product back only to get your money back and keep both. So I see it from both sides, but I think sending the product back first is the right thing to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not to be nosy I would assume this was an expensive item?

Ebay/Paypal 90% of the time always sides with the buyer.So you have that protection too... It's very hard for the seller to win a paypal claim.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
\
For all he knows you are a person who bought a product, sent the moeny to get him to send the product, then you as for a refund and you'll send the product back only to get your money back and keep both.

The only problem with that is that he must have known the product was not working properly when he advertised as working in "perfect condition" and mailed it to me. He tried ripping me off before I had any chance of trying to rip him off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bottom line is that he offered to give your money back you can try disputing with paypal.from personal experience thats not going to be a good idea it will only irritate the seller and could cause delays in getting your refund.

Reaction score
as long as you paid with paypal and he is 98 percent plus it has 2000 insurance. save all emails and send it. if he does not pay, paypal will give you up to 2000 minus a 15 dollar fee. I have made over 500 sales. I have given two refunds and a partial refund. On one of them a 300 sale the woofer's speaker magnet broke off. In all my years working with large subwoofer's i had never seen something like it. I sent him a full refund and told him keep the enclosure for free will. it is why a have a 100 percent rating. I don't think he broke it to rob me or had a broken one in his house and purchased mine to make a switch. When he opened it I am sure he felt I was cheating him. it was not as described. good luck with your return. Phil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.