External CD Ripping Hardware

Reaction score
I'd like to know if anyone has any recommendations for an external CD/DVD drive that's especially good for ripping audio.

I currently own an Intel iMac with an internal SuperDrive. I want to buy an external CD/DVD drive so I can have another disc loaded while the other drive is busy ripping.

Here's the history behind it. I've been ripping CDs on Macs since about 1998. I've gone through almost 3,000 discs in my lifetime. In the process, I've also gone through various brand name CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, and DVD-R drives including Lite-On, Plextor, Sony, and Pioneer.

I've always had pretty good reliability (i.e. few read errors) with the drives Apple ships, but not so much with others. Plextor was great back in the day, but I always had a hard time find a Mac-compatible Plextor drivers. Plus, I had a terrible experience with a Plextor-made DVD-R drive back in 2005, which pretty much turned me off to the brand for good.

I currently own an external Lite-On drive, and I've found it to be unpredictable. It does a good job most of the time, but it'll produce read errors even with virgin CDs (never played before, no scratches).

I'm open for suggestions if anyone has them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
In a word - Pioneer - the 115D or its latest successor, the 116D. Very reliable and they work well with Mac. Very affordable too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.