Firefox on Thumbdrive?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I was wondering, if it is possible to run Firefox on a thumbdrive. I tried to drag and drop the program into the thumbdrive, but no luck. I knew that it might not work that easily, but it was worth a try. I know this can be done on windows, so I was wondering, if this could be done on a Mac. I just would just rather use Firefox, instead of Safari at school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if there are macs at school, just drop a copy and burn to cd, then drop on the mac at school. that thumbdrive shoulda worked.

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since, you (Macman) said, it should work, I went back and gave it one more shot and it worked fine. I think the problem occurred when trying to run Firefox from an account, where it already existed. I tried it on an account without Firefox and it worked just fine. It would be great to just install a copy of Firefox on the mac at school, but after the mac is shutdown, it resets itself.

Thanks Macman, what would we do without you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
they reset? thats impossible for them to totally reset back to default installation, but the thumbdrive I thought would work, I see no reason why not, just dont work off any removable media. firefox may be ok, but itll use the thumbdrive as ram instead of the macs ram, so...

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure really, how the computers reset themselves. But, if you change the wallpaper, change the dock to your likings, save files, or have something in the Trash, it's all going to go back to normal, like after doing a fresh install of Panther. Any files you had saved with your last session will be gone the next time the computer is turned on. The school has some software installed that might do this for them, I think the software puts a little polar bear in the menu bar that does nothing, if you click on it. The software is hidden, so if that is it, I'm not sure what's called.

The school does the same thing with some of the windows computers in the lab. My friend will install and play his games, then next week, he'll go back to the same computer and reinstall the games and start playing them again.

With the windows computers in the classrooms, we log into them with our username and password, and we can save just about anything to them, files only. Then, you can go to a different building, log on to a different windows computer, and our files will still be there. But we can't do that with the macs, unfortunately. So, all over the campus, whatever computer a student is at, the school pretty much makes sure, you can't mess with the computers beyond repair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.