Help Remote Controlling Windoze from MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I have inherited a Dell desktop running Windows XP Pro. I have a MBP. I would like to set up the Dell with my wireless security camera, which I have done. Now I would like to hide the Dell in a closet or something. I don't want to put a monitor, keyboard and mouse in the closet as well. I would like to be able to control the Dell from my MBP. How do I go about setting that up?

I have downloaded TightVNC on the Dell but doubt that has been properly configured. I have also downloaded something called CoRD on my MBP, but again, not sure it is properly configured. Of course I am open to other programs that might be better but preferably free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
XP needs to be of the Pro flavor. Remote Control needs to be granted via the remote tab of the system properties. Right click my computer > properties.

A static IP would be suggested for the XP PC as well.

Open CoRD and then click the plus sign at the bottom. Enter the static IP of the XP box and the username and password. Probably the Administrator account is all that you have configured so far.

OP
dakineyj
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
OMG, FOR 2 DAYS!!
I've been trying to get that to work. I was replying that I had done all that. I went to the firewall settings to look at were it says Do Not Allow Exceptions to confirm that and it was checked because I thought it was to enable exception. So I unchecked it and all is good now! Thanks for you assistance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.