external HDD connection question

Reaction score
Just a simple question I hope!

I have a new WD My Book Studio Edition that seems to have every connection under the sun. I planned to use the Firewire 800 connection to my iMac, but might need to use the drive under Windows on occassion. Is it possible to use the drive with its Firewire 800 connection on the Mac and then, when needed, unplugging it and then utilizing a USB 2.0 connection on my PC?

I could always just use USB 2.0 across the board on the Mac and PC, but I was led to believe that Firewire 800 would be faster if available so why not. I just don't want to run into any issues down the road.

Also, if I use it with Fusion I don't think I could use Firewire with that, only USB 2.0. Perhaps USB 2.0 is the better option overall?

Thanks for any advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Re Firewire-USB, I have been able to use either/or with my Seagate external drive, but not connected simultaneously. USB is more cross-platform friendly I've found. Check too that you're using the correct FW 400 or 800 ports. FW is definitely faster.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, hughvane. I had suspected as much but it's good to get confirmation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.