Internet, router and browser problem? HELP!

Reaction score
Fast connection, SLOW BROWSERS!

Ok, running an iMac 10.5.4, 2Gigs of RAM, no problems before.

I have 3 machines hooked up through my router, this MAC, a 4 year old piece of junk PC laptop, and my PS3.

For whatever reason the laptop is (we have a 10+MBPS connection) blazingly fast surfing the web (both MAC and PC are using FireFox2, not 3), its far faster than the Mac.

What happens is, lets say on both I load a fresh page, the PC will load it up instantly, the mac will wait a few seconds while it says "looking up" in the browser and then load, but it loads noticeably slower (about 2-3 full seconds) than the PC.

Is there any settings in the Network I need to fiddle with? The PS3 and the PC are working fine through the net, but for whatever reason the Mac is slow going on the browser. I have tried Safari 3 and Firefox 3 and they both do the same thing!

Its very frustrating because the Mac is my main computer, the laptop is in another room and its never used for web browsing. I would really appreciate any help on this. Its driving me nuts.

(its a wired linksys router).

OP
R
Reaction score
Picture5.png

This is what its doing. I have a fast connection on all machines, but for whatever reason the MAC Browser is so darn slow........ looking up and transferring, it pauses on the browser.

I can't figure it out, I have not changed anything recently....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Have you tried using a different DNS for the Mac? You can try using OpenDNS and see if that helps. If it is having problems resolving names it should work.

https://www.opendns.com/start

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Technically if it is your DNS servers it should apply to all the machines, but I thought I read somewhere about OSX being particularly sensitive to it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me really, so I changed it, I did what that link you provided asked me to, and so far it seems better on my Mac.

Hopefully this means I don't need to get a new router, and this working condition stays.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.