How to make my USB 1.0/1.1 peripherals work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Dual Processor 450
Hi Everyone,

I am hoping that you can help me. I have a G4 Dual Processor 450 that's almost 8 years old. It is running fine, but for a few reasons I am looking to upgrade to either a Mini or a MacBook. I don't work with video so I don't need something super-fancy, but I would like to be able to watch movies on whatever systems I buy.

Even if I buy the MacBook, I'd like to be able to hook up the monitor (it's a flat-screen display, like the Cinema Display but smaller), keyboard and mouse that I got with my G4, but they are all USB 1.1, I believe.

Will these peripherals work with either of the two systems I am considering, and is there a hub or something that I would have to buy to make them work?

Any guidance, links, and so on are appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
USB 2 is backwards compatible with USB 1. Your USB keyboard and mouse will work just fine. I'm not familiar with the monitor you mention - is it VGA or USB connection?

I would recommend a powered hub or you'll hit the infamous Mac USB power inadequacy. I can suggest the Cyberpower portable battery-powered unit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UQALQ/?tag=macforums0e4-20
Great little gadget, with optional recharging of the supplied Ni-MH batteries. If you get a Macbook, it's easy to transport the computer and the hub.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
#99,

USB1 devices can be used on USB2 connectors - you just won't get USB2 speeds out of the devices, they'll continue to perform at USB1 speeds...

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.