New Mac household with several questions

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just bought 2 (yes that's two) iMac's to replace our home PC's. All I can say is Apple rocks! Anyway, I have several questions so here goes:

1) One iMac is connect to my DIR-655 wifi router via an ethernet cable. The iMac seems to recognize the connection (gives me a green light and an IP address) but when I go to use Safari or iTunes it tells me it doesn't have an internet connection. Any idea what's going on or what I need to do to make the connection work. In the past with our PC's you just plugged them in and the ethernet connection worked.

2) The 2nd iMac is connected via Airport to the DIR-655 wireless router. I like to hide the visibility of my SSID but when I do so the iMac won't connect to it. What do i need to do so my iMac will automatically acquire my private wifi network when my SSID is hidden?

3) I've setup an external HD with two partitions, one for Time Machine and the other to keep a SuperDuper image of the drive. My question is I want to protect both partitions from my wife and kids so they can't mess with them. How do either make it so they can't see them, or better yet make it so any use of them requires my Admin password? If I can't do either of those two options, could I make them read only and if so will Time Machine still work (i.e., backup) when they are logged in?

4) One last question, as the admin, is there a way for me to make system/preference changes that can be applied to all the user profiles I've created. For example, let's say I want to make trackball more sensitive. Rather than have to login to each person and make the changes to their settings, can I do it once and apply it to everyone?

That's probably enough questions for now.

This forum is awesome and I can't tell you how excited our whole family is to have made the switch.

Thanks

Steven

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Hello all,

Just bought 2 (yes that's two) iMac's to replace our home PC's. All I can say is Apple rocks! Anyway, I have several questions so here goes:

1) One iMac is connect to my DIR-655 wifi router via an ethernet cable. The iMac seems to recognize the connection (gives me a green light and an IP address) but when I go to use Safari or iTunes it tells me it doesn't have an internet connection. Any idea what's going on or what I need to do to make the connection work. In the past with our PC's you just plugged them in and the ethernet connection worked.

2) The 2nd iMac is connected via Airport to the DIR-655 wireless router. I like to hide the visibility of my SSID but when I do so the iMac won't connect to it. What do i need to do so my iMac will automatically acquire my private wifi network when my SSID is hidden?

3) I've setup an external HD with two partitions, one for Time Machine and the other to keep a SuperDuper image of the drive. My question is I want to protect both partitions from my wife and kids so they can't mess with them. How do either make it so they can't see them, or better yet make it so any use of them requires my Admin password? If I can't do either of those two options, could I make them read only and if so will Time Machine still work (i.e., backup) when they are logged in?

4) One last question, as the admin, is there a way for me to make system/preference changes that can be applied to all the user profiles I've created. For example, let's say I want to make trackball more sensitive. Rather than have to login to each person and make the changes to their settings, can I do it once and apply it to everyone?

That's probably enough questions for now.

This forum is awesome and I can't tell you how excited our whole family is to have made the switch.

Thanks

Steven

I'll try to help with your first 2 points..

1) So under system preferences > Network > ethernet it's showing you do have an IP address? If you click on Ethernet it should say if you are actually connected or not. It should also list an IP if it has obtained one from the router. Does it?

2) Under system preferences > Network > airport, you should see an advanced button near in the bottom right. Click that. Make sure you are in the airport tab and click the '+' to add a preferred network. Type in your SSID and WEP password and you should be set.

Not sure about your other questions, sorry. Hopefully the above will help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
With your first problem, is that Mac's Airport turned on? If so, then it's possible that it's trying to use that connection instead of the Ethernet connection. Simply disable Airport and it should automatically start using the wired connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.