"Hal.dll Corrupt" after base Windows XP Installation

Reaction score
I installed Boot Camp on OSX Tiger more than a year ago to use Windows XP Pro, but now is expired. Recently, Windows XP crashed and wouldn't boot up. I decided that I would wipe it out completely and do a clean installation.

So I inserted my Windows XP CD, deleted the partition contain XP and made a new partition that was smaller, then I formated using NTFS and Setup began. It copied all the files and reboot itself. After rebooting, it came up with an error "Hal.dll missing or corrupt" blah blah blah. I tried formating it and reinstalling it, but the same error would come up when I tried continuing with the second part of installation.

Help would be appreciated, Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you use Bootcamp since your version was a Beta and now expired?

OP
B
Reaction score
No, I didn't use Boot Camp at all. It was already somewhat partitioned. I just deleted the previous one to create a new one with more space.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't think you can do it that way. I have never tried but seen others who had nothing but issues unless they used bootcamp first and zapped the old Windows partition through Bootcamp. Hope I am wrong but that is what I have seen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I installed Boot Camp on OSX Tiger more than a year ago to use Windows XP Pro, but now is expired. Recently, Windows XP crashed and wouldn't boot up. I decided that I would wipe it out completely and do a clean installation.

So I inserted my Windows XP CD, deleted the partition contain XP and made a new partition that was smaller, then I formated using NTFS and Setup began. It copied all the files and reboot itself. After rebooting, it came up with an error "Hal.dll missing or corrupt" blah blah blah. I tried formating it and reinstalling it, but the same error would come up when I tried continuing with the second part of installation.

Help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Edit your "Boot.ini" file in the root of drive C. The file is a hidden system file so you may have to unhide to edit. It can be edited with a text editor. Boot.ini points the Windows system files to the correct partition so Windows will be able to boot. The error "hal.dll" missing or corrupt is deceiving. What it really means is "I can't find it" because boot.ini is not pointing to the correct location.

If you need help with boot.ini, here's a link which explains:

http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/asm/mbr/bootini.htm

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
I tried setting my date back to 2007 and surprisingly, Boot Camp works again. I had my doubts, but ****...

Anyways, I'm going to partition everything back together and start over again. Thanks for the answers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.