wireless keyboard without numeric keypad

Reaction score
I wonder whose brilliant idea it was to bring out the new wireless keyboard and leave out the numeric keypad. The whole reason for having a wireless keyboard, as far as I am concerned, is to free up ports for ipods, cameras, printers, hard drives etc. But now, if I want to replace my keyboard, I am probably going to have to get the wireless without numeric, what a pain. Come on apple, get a grip! Am I the only one who is disappointed? Probably

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2
NO! NO! I am disappointed too! I was like 'seriously - they forgot the numberic keypad huh'...to which the apple store lad said 'umm..yeah...but i cant say that...'!

Reaction score
I am using the wireless at home and the wired one at work. I don't even use the num pad at all and the longer wired keyboard always interferes with my mouse pad.

I don't think apple forgot something there and the wireless version has everything I need.

My +1 for the wireless version :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MB - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM - OSX 10.5.8
I'm disappointed too. I really wanted the wireless, but without the number pad, I'm just gonna stick with the wired one....typing in credit card numbers and phone numbers is such a pain with out it! And I have to type my social security number in every time I log into my school website...Blarg! =/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In three words - marketing, marketing, marketing. Save money and most users NEVER use the numerics anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Quicksilver Dual 1ghz 10.5.4, Mac Mini G4 10.4.11, iPod 60gb gen4, + 60gb gen5, iPhone G3 16gb
I thought it was only accountants and people who raise invoices that used the numeric pad.
I sometimes use it but mainly use the numbers that have always been there .... a whole line of them on above the alpha keys.
Wireless keyboard used with Mac Mini and linked to TV as entertainments centre. Wirelss k/b and mighty mouse .... can't be bettered ... and they look good in the living room.
There is always a use for something like this keyboard. Well done Apple on the looks alone.
Steve

Reaction score
I just got my first Mac, an iMac 27 with the i7 processor and I love it. I basically threw away about 20 years of windows training/familiarity but I could not take Microsoft OS anymore. I bought an iPhone, really liked the simplicity and easy of use and I decided to switch the whole household to Apple: 2 iPhones, an iMac and a macbook.

So, I am at the very beginning of learning the mac and I already feel very clumsy, missing all my short cuts and tricks from Windows. It is just a matter of time, I know, but not having a full keyboard was adding to the clumsiness.

I was disappointed to find out that there is no numeric keypad version of the wireless keyboard. I don't see why Apple did not request the supplier of the "standard" wireless keyboard to manufacture a wider version with the keypad. You'd buy the iMac with the standard and, if you need it, you can buy the extra keyboard right away. Actually, had I been in the room when they discussed it, I would have suggested to request the supplier of the keyboard to manufacture both a version with a numeric keypad AND a stand-alone wireless keypad. So you would have three options: small keyboard and no keypad, additional stand alone keypad (to turn on when you need it) or the full keyboard. I use the keypad often, but the problem is not just for the numbers but it is not having the delete forward, the home, and the end buttons. If you use a word editor or a spreadsheet program, you will be much faster if you use the full keyboard.

I was forced to get the wired keyboard but the fact that I see the wire JUST BUGS me now. C'mon Apple, do it!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
they probably just had tons of leftover laptop keyboards and were like, "hmmmmm......what could we do with these?"

mac

Reaction score
The full size keyboard with numeric keypad looks and works great. It's a pity it's wired.
I feel that people with MBP would love a full size keyboard for these reasons:

1. Developers like me use the num keypad a heck of a lot. (The ability to do /* and */ quickly is more than worth it, but the number keys, oh, no doubt).
2. Accountants and anyone who use numbers would love a num pad. The ability to pull out the MBP and keyboard out of the bag and have a functional keypad without plugging it in is great.
3. The cursor keys are much bigger and easier to use.
4. A different delete key, page up, page down AND more function keys for shortcuts. Great stuff.
5. Musicians use the num keypads a lot too. Software like Cubase for example has a lot of shortcuts utilising the num pad. Now, here's an important point. With a bluetooth keyboard, the full apple keyboard can be placed on top of the music keyboard. What a convenience, but with wired, yeah, you kinda can, but... it's a real drag.

My point is, a lot of people would buy a bluetooth full sized keyboard.
But there's more reason: Those with macbook only has two USB ports. Most of them are probably already using a bluetooth mouse. So, where's the fullsize keyboard? Also, I love the fact that the power connector of the MBP is magnetic because it doesn't cause much wear and tear over the years. But with a USB keyboard, the USB port is not only used up, but it also would wear out the socket sooner with all the plugging and unplugging. It kinda works against the design philosophy.

So, Apple, what's the delay? besides there's "money" to be made here.... We need it, you can do it.... chop chop...

Reaction score
equivalents for the numeric keypad, are there any?

I bought it for music, and only now find that unlike on the laptop where jkluio789 keys work as numeric keypad values if Fn is held down, this doesn't work on the wireless mini keyboard.

Anyone know how to get these values out of this little keyboard?

Derek Williams

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0, 8 Gb RAM, 4TB Storage, 8800 GT
No, the point of a wireless keyboard is portability and not to free up ports. Thus media centers for example and commanding from the couch.

Thumbs up!

Reaction score
Proper-sized arrow and PgUp-PgDown-etc keys are essential

I'm not buying Wireless Keyboard because of the lack of proper-sized arrows, PgUp-PgDown-Home-End-Delete key groups - that makes it as awkward as all keyboards built into laptops.

Wireless keyboard (which appears to have the same layout as the laptop one) has tiny arrow keys crammed in the corner, and PgUp-PgDown-Home-End require special combinations - a basic usability problem.

I don't actually care for the numeric keypad part itself too much.
If they made an intermediate variant - Wireless Keyboard with proper Arrow etc keys, but without the numeric keypad - I would buy that.
Or simply the same full-sized keyboard as the Wired with Numeric Keypad - even better - just as full-featured, but without a wire!
I would buy one or both of these the day they became available.

Until then, unfortunately I have to stick with the Wired keyboards.

Come on - how hard is it to make the same keyboard as Wired with Numeric, only wireless? Even less space constraints!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well that is your decision to rant but why revive such an old, old thread?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I'm like the rest of y'all. I traded in the wireless that came with my Mac for a wired numeric keyboard.

I found wireless numeric keyboard from OWC that looks very similar to the Apple wireless keyboard can be added to your current Apple wireless keyboard. Maybe this is what you're looking for
OWC Numeric Wireless Keyboard

Reaction score
Need for full size wireless keyboard

The issue for me is the awkwardness of having to add the fn key to many, many keyboard shortcuts in many, many applications. Many other shortcuts do not require using the fn key and the inconsistency seriously complicates things.

A full size keyboard eliminates that problem. And WIRELESS is an absolute requirement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.