VPN and Airport...Please help!

Reaction score
I have been reading forums and most of the problems I have found are people trying to vpn remote login to their work computers from their home network using a base station. I am trying to remote login to my computer that is on my airport network from outside the network. I am running the newer "n" extreme base station with the most current firmware. I am trying to vpn into my computer using my iphone. I have successfully done it from within my network but that defeats the purpose of having remote login for me. I set up port mapping to map port 5900 to my computer's physical ip address on the network with the airport utility. OSX firewall is not enabled. I went to a website that told me what my router's public ip address is on the internet and had my iphone try to connect to that. In theory the iphone should try to connect to the router's public ip address on 5900 and then map it to my computer's physical ip address...I still cannot get a connection. If I had another computer I would try to connect with that to make sure it is not the iphone...but remember it does connect just fine when connecting within the same network. Please help, this is getting very frustrating.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok...so I feel lame because I figured it out after I posted. I configured everything on my airport correct and it should have worked but I could not figure out why it wouldn't. That is when I found the support page for the Jaadu app. they had much better installation instructions and noted that:

"This is only required for 10% of users.

If you have a cable or DSL modem between your router and the Internet, you need to do one extra step.

Go to your router's setup page (suppose it's 192.168.1.1). You should be able to see its external IP address -- which might be something like 192.168.0.2 with the gateway set to 192.168.0.1. Now the gateway is actually your cable/DSL modem. So go to its setup page, and tell it to put your router (192.168.0.2) on the DMZ. This will make it forward all incoming requests to your router, and your router can in turn forward VNC requests to your VNC server."

I had to enable DMZ for my modem and BAM...I was up and running! From what I am reading on reviews this program is better (which is probably why it costs a lot more). If anyone has been having this problem this is good information since the Mocha install instructions mention nothing about enabling DMZ.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.