iTunes can't see remote speakers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17"MBP 2.5GHzC2D/4GB RAM/250GB HDD: 17"MBP 2.16GHzCD/2GB RAM/120GB HDD: 17"iMacG5/1GB RAM/80GB HDD
I've recently set up a new wireless network with a 1TB Time Capsule as base station. Everything hunky dory with that. I've now added my old Airport Express to the network purely to AirTunes our music to the living room stereo. It's located within 3 feet of Time Capsule and set up in Bridge mode using the configuration wizard in Airport Utility. (This Airport Express used to be the base station for the network and AirTunes functioned fine then.)

I've updated the firmware, reconfigured Airport Express, and hooked it up to the stereo which is switched on. Everything appears to be OK -- green lights everywhere -- and every computer on the network (2 MBPs, an iMac and a MacBook) can see the Airport Express in Airport Utility. Every computer on the network is up to date software-wise, and all permissions have been repaired.

All installations of iTunes can see each other's libraries on the network and all are set to look for remote speakers. But no computer on the network displays an option to use the remote speakers. Rebooting iTunes/computers/network makes no difference.

The only thing I can see which makes me suspicious, but which I don't know enough about to know how relevant it is, is that there are some inconsistencies in the IP addresses displayed for Time Capsule and Airport Express in Airport Utility.

Clicking on Time Capsule in Airport Utility gives the short summary page stating its name, IP address, version and Airport ID. Here the IP address displayed is 10.0.1.1, If I then click on manual setup, the summary page gives Time Capsule's IP address as 192.168.1.10 (the router's IP is 192.168.1.1). Airport Express has been assigned the IP address 10.0.1.194, and its summary page gives the router's IP address as 10.0.1.1

Can anyone tell me if these discrepancies are relevant? And if so, what I should do about it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
In the Airport Utility, selecting the attached device, then clicking on Manual Setup, then on Music. Is 'Enable Airtunes" selected?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17"MBP 2.5GHzC2D/4GB RAM/250GB HDD: 17"MBP 2.16GHzCD/2GB RAM/120GB HDD: 17"iMacG5/1GB RAM/80GB HDD
In the Airport Utility, selecting the attached device, then clicking on Manual Setup, then on Music. Is 'Enable Airtunes" selected?

Yup ... sorry, should have mentioned that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz Superdrive * 1GB RAM * 100GB HD
I have the same problem you do with the same discrepancies in IP addresses. Did you ever get this problem resolved??? I gave up trying and am considering returning my time capsule, going back to using Airport Express and simply buying an external hard drive for backup.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. I resolved the problem by purchasing a new Airport Express and now all is working fine.

I tried everything I could think of to get the old one working and in the end came to the conclusion that although it had appeared to be working fine, certainly as far as the wireless network was concerned, it must have sustained some minor damage when my phone lines got zapped by lightning a few months back. I thought the damage had been limited to losing one port on the modem, but when I started really scratching my head over it, I realised we hadn't used Airtunes since, so that aspect of its function wasn't tested until I set it up with Time Capsule.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.