Visual studio on intel mac

Reaction score
I am due to start a computer science course in october. As a result of this I will need to run Visual studio 2005/8 on my mac.

I intend on using bootcamp and xp/vista and was wondering if anyone has any experience doing this?

Most people have told me to just buy another cheap windows laptop but I dont want to be carting two laptops around the place.

If anyone has any advice I would be gratefull.

Cheers, Stu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
There are literally thousands of guides on the internet for this. You haven't stated the specs of your Mac, but assuming you have an Intel Mac and assuming you have at least 8 GBs of free HDD space, you can install Windows XP via Bootcamp. You must use a retail version of XP that is Service Pack 2 or better.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Alternatively, you could use a Virtual Machine, and use Visual Studio via this, giving you the advantage of not having to reboot when you need to use a Windows app. I would recommend a minimum of 2GBs of RAM if you're going to use Parallels or VM Fusion.

http://forum.parallels.com/thread1788.html

Check out the above for performance. The thread is old and is when Parallels was in Beta, so performance now will be a lot better. Parallels can run any version of Windows, including Vista, if you have enough RAM.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

I havent really made myself clear in my first post. I'm not really worried about running bootcamp and windows I'm pretty clear on what I need to do and how to do it.

What I really wanted to know is wether there are any developers out there using visual studio on a mac (via bootcamp and windows) and if they've encountered any problems using it?

Cheers, Stu.

Oh and I 've got a 2.16GHz Intel macbook with 2G ram and plenty of HDD space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I cannot see any problems, the Intel Mac is functionally identical to a PC as far as windows is concerned when it runs on Apple hardware

Reaction score
Exactly. When you boot into Windows via Boot Camp on a Mac, you are running natively - just like you bought a Wintel laptop with the same specs. You will see no difference at all.

Cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok many thanks for all the replies everyone.
I think I'm gonna give it a shot anyway, so fingers crossed, eh.

Cheers, Stu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.