Connecting iPhone to car

Reaction score
I am looking to find a way to connect my iPhone to my car.

I don't have an aux jack, so I would rather spend a couple extra bucks and connect my iPhone directly to my radio; that way I could change the songs using my radio and not my phone.

I didn't find anything on the forums, so I was hoping someone could maybe help me out.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What kind of car do you have (year, make and model)? There are many factory integration kits that hook up to the CD changer port at the back of the stereo (providing that your car has one) and allow you to use the iPod as though it were a factory CD changer (and in some cases, a factory XM radio).

Personally, I use a DICE I-HONDA-R3, which is absolutely awesome (albeit pricey).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a 2006 Honda Civic.

The DICE I-HONDA-R3 looks quite good.

I think that will work for you. Another, less expensive option would be to try the USA spec iPod interface. The big difference (at least on my Accord) is that the song title/track information is not displayed on the radio's screen. I like to have this option because I tend to hide my iPod within a pocked in my dashboard to keep it safe from prying eyes.

You can see the USA Spec unit here:

http://www.handaccessories.com/civelec06.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
It says it's not compatible with the iPhone or Touch, are they referring to controlling them via the radio?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It says it's not compatible with the iPhone or Touch, are they referring to controlling them via the radio?

I think they're referring to connectivity to the device altogether. I forgot that we were talking about an iPhone! I use mine with a 5.5G iPod.

Reaction score
I had the same prob, but I am an audio guy so I bought an Alpine headunit that was iPod ready. Bought the $20 cord that connects to the back of the receiver and then plugs into my iPhone.

I can control everything from my receiver. I get the "This accessory was not created for the iPhone...do you want to switch to airplane mode etc." and I just hit no and it works great. Control through receiver and charges at the same time.

Might be your only option, but IMO its worth it. I listen to the most music in my car. So, to me, its worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Which phone do you have? Some things that worked with my 8GB 2G don't work with the new 3G. Even the car charger/FM transmitter doesn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.6GHZ, 8Gig iPhone, 160Gig iPod Classic, 16Gig 3G iPhone Black
I have this. Just picked it up from best(worst)buy, because my old ipod car charger that used to work with my 2G iPhone doesnt work with my 3G :Angry: and i needed a transmitter. It works great with both iPhones, and charges both of them, as well as great transmitting power. The clear scan thing is cool too, and it has 2 programable memory buttons for stations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Whatever you buy, make sure it is compatable with the 3G specifically. I got one for my Mazda a few months ago which worked fine with my first gen, but for some reason it won't charge my 3G. At least it'll play music but I wish it would charge also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Yeah, since Apple finally nixed the firewire charging pin, a number of chargers no longer work, so be careful.

DaZ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, iphone 3G, & Classic ipod
I use an alpine CDA-9883 deck. I bought this deck for my ipod classic and it work great. I am able to browse my selection through the actual deck. There is a cable that is sold separate that connects to the bottom of the ipod or iphone. It also comes satellite and bluetooth ready (bluetooth requires an additional purchase.) The screen is also crystal clear and is very easy to read while driving. I have tested it on my iphone 3g and it plays the music without a problem. It does give an error message and offers to put the iphone in airplane mode, all you have to do is push no and it starts playing your music. If the phone rings the music stops and the ringer starts to play on your speakers. The only set back is it does not charge the phone like it does my ipod classic. If this is a problem, I would look into a new alpine deck that will charge the 3g. I was told that alpine works with apple to produce these products. I don't care much for fm transmitters because the music fades in and out.
best of luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I also use an Alpine deck, the iDA-X100. Works perfectly and connects via a USB cable (included). I don't have an iPhone, but my friend does, and he has connected his iPhone to my deck a couple times and it worked (and charged) perfectly.

Reaction score
I have an FM transmiter I purchased from ebay and the quality of the audio that comes out of my car is really bad..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro -- 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo / 2 GB Ram / 320GB HD -- iPhone 3G Black 16GB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.