Options besides system restore CD's for old laptops (XP)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4GHz Intel, 2 GB DDR2
I recently had a gateway laptop that was destroyed. I was running a legal copy of XP on it. I got the box out today to install XP on my mac using bootcamp and saw that it said "will erase all information on your hard drive" and some other not very cool things. I checked the sticky quickly and saw that it says not to use disks from previous computers. I'm not sure how to proceed (without buying a complete new copy of XP). My girlfriend purchased XP for her computer with the ability to add it on up to 3 computers, but her disks are states away (but i have the product key code and can enter it legaly). Is there any other way to install XP w/o the disks or use what I have now? If it helps I also have an old Dell restore CD as well that says "use only with dell computers" :Grimmace:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Reaction score
You need a standalone, retail or OEM copy of XP. A system disk from Dell, even with your g/f's product code, will not work. Print and read out the Boot Camp install instructions and follow them. This forum is littered with the posts of people who have ventured off that narrow path, much to their chagrin.

If your girlfriend has a retail copy of XP SP2 with a valid multi-user license, she can ship you the disk and you can install it then ship it back (cheaper than buying your own).

OEM copies of XP SP2 can be bought online for not too much money. Newegg.com is where I got mine (as have many others).

Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
You may be able to use her retail copy of the CD with the serial number from your busted laptop. As far as I know they are universal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sorry they are not just limited to the manufacturer's machine only. Windows 2000 from a Dell must be installed on another Dell and one cannot legally sell the software as it was licensed with a certain machine at the time of authentification.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bought a copy of XP today so :p I went through and read some of the instructions that mac has. Do i need my Lepord CD as well?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do i have to have a copy of leopard? Does this basically erase the one pre-programed from the factory? help please.

Reaction score
Tiki, you need to print out the Boot Camp installation instructions and have them right in front of you for the install. Some of the items are counterinuitive or at least not immediately obvious, and the instructions take you through it step by step. You will also need the Leopard disk that came with your Mac as well as the XP disc that you bought. The instructions will tell you what to do and when as the prompts appear on your screen. Believe me, if I can do it - ANYONE can do it. :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.