• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New pc !!!! XD

Reaction score
Well, I want to buy a new pc BUT i really really want a mac
but i always used windows vista and mac is something completely different so i have a few questions before buy

Can i run games like guild wars and counter-strike source on mac without having problems ?
Does mac supports ".exe" files ? so if i download things like maybe limewire or stuff, does it work ?

the pc i want to but is :

intel core 2duo 2,44 ghz
1gb ram
250gb hard disk space
Ati radeon 2400, 128 mb DDR3

999 euros

Is it goodto play games like guild wars and css ? cuz 128mb graphic memory isn't that good, but it is DDR3

Or maybe the other one i want to buy is:

intel core 2duo 2,66 ghz
2gb ram
320 gb hard disk space
Ati radeon 256mb DDR3

1.299 euros

Is this better to play games and stuff, but its alot more expencive

PLz answer my questions and say wich one i have to buy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
No, the mac does not run exe files out of the box. You will need something like crossover for mac, or run windows XP natively through Bootcamp (comes with the mac) or Parallels (you buy this one)

There is an OS X version of Limewire

For gaming the more expensive mac pro is best, but check out your country's mac store and look for the refurb store, you might be able to pick up a macpro, with a slightly lower spec for a lot less but still with full warranty

Only buy a mac if you really want one, if your main focus is games, you may want to stick with a PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Mac's don't use .exe files, but you can download stuff that works, just get a Mac version.

I don't know which one you should buy really, that's up to you. If you need a better graphics card then go for the second one.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, I dont like Mac, I LOVE it XD but i never worked with mac before
but for everything is a first time XD
I dont focus on playing games but i like to play Gw somethimes

BUT my question is, How can i play Games without having the things to do with crossover and bootcamp and stuff

Should i buy Gw again but then for mac or ? the only games I play is guild wars and counter-strike source and some steam games

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to play games without using Crossover or installing Windows on your Mac you'll need to buy the Mac version of the game. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a Mac version of Guild Wars or Counter Strike that I can find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
If you want to play games without using Crossover or installing Windows on your Mac you'll need to buy the Mac version of the game. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a Mac version of Guild Wars or Counter Strike that I can find.

You should be able to get CounterStrike to work though, I know we got it working on my older Linux box through wine. And I know that wine can be installed through Darwinports or something similar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We need more games on Mac, it's really irritating. I would pay an extortionate sum to be able to play Dungeon Keeper again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
if you want a mac, and still want to play video games, you probably have to put windows on it. IMO your best bet is to install it with bootcamp (bootcamp comes with macs, but you need to purchase windows).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Stupid question time here. Can anyone tell me what "XD" means as used by the OP in both posts? Is it just supposed to be some sort of lame smiley face?

No offense, just curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Not Stupid.

Yes, it is just a face. It's not a stupid question. I didn't know what it meant until a few months ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you are fed up with Windows and ready to try something new, then the Mac may be a good choice. It sounds like you're a gamer who appreciates the trivial, aesthetic qualities of a Mac, but not necessarily willing to make any sort of compromise. If gaming is truly a top priority, you'll be a lot happier with a Windows machine.

OP
D
Reaction score
Stupid question time here. Can anyone tell me what "XD" means as used by the OP in both posts? Is it just supposed to be some sort of lame smiley face?

No offense, just curious.

Yes it is a smiley ;D

But is it simple with crossover ? is it with payment ?
How does it work ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have you heard of WINE (running Windows APIs within Linux)

Crossover is a commercial mac version of WINE, letting you run windows programs without needing to run windows, I think they have a support forum
so check to see if Crossover supports your games

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.