How do I download and play MP3s on Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Just got a Macbook Pro, but I know nothing about it. A friend emailed me some MP3 files, but when I click on them, the only thing that happens is ITunes opens up. Nothing plays. Nothing happens.

What gives? Please help!! I really want to hear these MP3s tonight!

Thank you!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, when you import an MP3 into iTunes, it should show in your library. Then it should just be a matter of either double clicking on it. Is your volume turned up (F12 key)?

OP
N
Reaction score
How do I download MP3 to MacBook Pro?

Well, actually, it won't show up in my ITunes library for some reason. It's currently sitting on my desktop. When I click on it, ITunes opens but nothing plays - it doesn't show up there at all. When I try to drag it into ITunes, the same thing happens.

I really don't get it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try Right Clicking (Control Click) on them and play them in Quicktime. See if they play there. If not, it sounds like they got corrupted when they were attached to that email.

OP
N
Reaction score
It won't work with Quicktime either

I just get a message that says "This file is not a movie file, and can't be played."

Man, I hope the files aren't corrupt. But I'll bet that if I had them on my PC, they'd open right up. I'm getting kind of frustrated with the Mac thing.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I just get a message that says "This file is not a movie file, and can't be played."

Are you sure they're MP3 files? Quicktime should play straight-up MP3 files with no problem. If you save one of them to your Desktop (rather than just clicking the links) and then right-click on one and select "Get Info", what does it say about the file?

Man, I hope the files aren't corrupt. But I'll bet that if I had them on my PC, they'd open right up. I'm getting kind of frustrated with the Mac thing.

Give it time. You have to take off your Windows hat and put on your Mac hat, so to speak. This isn't Windows and it helps to approach this with an open mind. After all, you did buy a Mac because you wanted something different - well, here it is ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
ALL my MP3's play fine on any of my Macs in iTunes or Quicktime for that matter. I have many thousand and most were created on the PC and there is not one which will not play.

When doing what CWA suggested, this is what a working MP3 looks like.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06GHz .. 2Gb RAM .. 500Gb HDD .. 512Mb 8800GS .. iMac
Try getting him to send you some different mp3 files. See if they work.

Reaction score
when you apply some files on your machine , then you have it in them , but when you are using it to play songs , specially , the it is like you have to be specific to teh location it has to stored.Normally it will appear on the media library folder , if it aint there , then you dont have the song

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.