Network DHCP Problems

Reaction score
I have a Macbook running Leopard. I also have a D-Link DI 624 Wireless Router and DSL. Here is my problem. I have created a wireless network with my Macbook and so when I connect to the network, I get the following for TCP/IP:

IPv4 Address:192.168.0.xxx
Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.0.1

Also the IPv6 is set to Automatic. The problem is this. After 24 hours, I connect to the network and all it says is a Self-Assigned address, where the IPv4 Address looks like this:

IPv4 Address: 169.254.123.233 or something like that. And now I cannot connect to the internet. It will be looking for the page, and then it will time out. The only solution I have is to unplug both the router and modem for 10 seconds and then start them up again. Then everything will work for another 24 hours. Then back to not working. Its a cycle.

Strange thing is is that the pc laptop that is running windows xp SP2 connects and does not have the same problem as the Macbook. It runs fine 24/7. Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
There was just a thread in here about Airport Express problems in Macbooks. Do you always have to restart the router, or can you just turn the Airport off and then back on with the Macbook?

OP
G
Reaction score
I always have to restart the router. Just turning the Airport Off and On wont do anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MDD 867, 2GB, ATI 9800 Pro, 10.5.x
If your leopard firewall is running and you're getting the self-assigned IP, try turning the firewall off, switch back to the network pane, apply bootp, then apply dhcp again. For some reason, leopard doesn't automatically allow the configd process(?). Make sure to reattach the system firewall. You can monitor your connectivity through the console (firewall logging in the advanced menu under firewall). Let me know if that's the problem.

OP
G
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the DSL modem I have is configured on a static IP Address, not dynamic. Does this change anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MDD 867, 2GB, ATI 9800 Pro, 10.5.x
I'm not really sure. Open your firewall logging (console) and see if it says "Deny configd data in from...". If it says that, it's an issue with leopard's firewall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
If you mean the DSL has a static IP from your provider, that shouldn't make a difference.

OP
G
Reaction score
I opened up the firewall log and it does not say"Deny config data in from..." Im thinking it may be the router. I will try another wireless router and I will get back to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.