VMware Beta 2 - Insanely Slow Performance!

Reaction score
I have VMware Beta 2 installed on my MacPro (2x3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 16GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM) with a brand new installation of Windows XP Pro SP2 installed, and I have yet to install a single application in my VM, but the performance of the virtual machine is so incredibly slow and sluggish that I almost can't bare using it anymore!

When I say slow, I mean for example the mouse sometimes stutters when simply moving it across my screen, and clicking on a button like 'OK' or 'Save' pauses for a good 1-2 seconds before actually doing whatever it's supposed to...

I currently have VMware configured to use 2 Processors and 2048MB of RAM. My primary Mac hard drive that I am running the virtual machine from has over 100GB of free space...

What are some of the possible causes of such a tremendous performance slow-down such as the one I am experiencing, and how can I go about resolving the issue?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They may have tried to do too much with this beta. Beta software is generally slow because of all the test code.

Suggest posting your question to the Fusion public forum. Folks there are helpful and can perhaps provide you with a better answer.

http://tinyurl.com/5cer7l

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I know that Parallels has additional software to install under your windows VM that improves performance quite a bit, check to see if VM requires you to install something similar?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I know that Parallels has additional software to install under your windows VM that improves performance quite a bit, check to see if VM requires you to install something similar?

That's what I was going to say - did you install VMWare Tools after the Windows install completed? My Fusion 2 Beta 2 installation runs just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Do you have XP installed through vmWare or through bootcamp. I have it installed through bootcamp and running it through vmWare works just fine...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.