Way of connecting iBook to a PC?

M

Maxp0wer2004

Hi, soon im going to be buying an iBook and iSight; i want to know if there is a cable i can connect to both computers together so i can edit video from my PC or burn DVD's with video i take from iSight(no DVD burner on the iBook).

Or is it possible to burn a movie file to a CD-R just as data so i can move movies and data from each computer to the other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Well, that's very simple, just use an Ethernet cable (aka LAN cable). Then you just need to allow filesharing on both computer, and that's it.

OP
K

keyvan

Avalon said:
Well, that's very simple, just use an Ethernet cable (aka LAN cable). Then you just need to allow filesharing on both computer, and that's it.

I'll clarify, as I do this all the time.
You dont get just any old ethernet cable, make sure you get a crossover cable since your gonna connect them right to each other. You connect both comps together with the crossover cable, and in the windows settings on the pc, go to TCP/IP settings for the ethernet card and select to manually configure your IP, make your IP on the pc 192.168.0.3, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1.
Now, on your ibook, go to network preferences, go to the ethernet settings, and choose the manual setting, set your ip to 192.168.0.1, subnet the same as the pc one, gateway/router same as above (...0.1).
Now go to sharing on your ibook, enable FTP, windows sharing, whatever you want. I use ftp.
Then you can use an ftp program like FlashFXP in windows to connect to 192.168.0.1, username your mac username, password your mac password, and theres your ibook. And vice versa if you make a ftp server on your pc, but then the ip of the comp is ...0.3, pretty sure you get the picture.

oh and your speeds gonna be about 6-12 MB/s, not /too/ bad i guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Thanks for clarifying...I was in a hurry, that's why I couldn't go into details

cc cable: I thought that the iBook's Ethernet plug was autosensing...I know the PowerBook's is. For those who don't know it, an autosensing network card detects wether the line should be crossed or not, making crossed cables unnecessary.

When enabling Windows sharing and personal file sharing, no additional software is needed, you can access the files in your shared folder directly from one to another.

OP
M

Maxp0wer2004

Would the Crossover cable be called an RJ-45 Cable or would it have a different name?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RJ-45 is just the designation for the connector type, so crossed or not, it's always RJ-45. The cable must be calld "crossed cable" or "crossover able" or something like that.

OP
M

Maxp0wer2004

Ok so if i get one of those, i could share files easily between my Mac and PC?

If i do this, would i need to be online or anything to share files like that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.