F8 Key in XP on MB with Bootcamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz 4GB RAM
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a MacBook and am using XP SP3 with BootCamp and am having problems using the F8 key within Windows. I need the key to perform whatever the default XP Function is for F8 (I need to use it for VBA programming), but instead, pressing F8 brings up a "Mac-Type" gray screen with 2 lighter gray gears (aka System PReferences / Control Panel).

Does anyone know what this is, and how I can disable it from the F8 keystroke?

I've tried 2 different keyboards and used the latest logitech SetPoint SW to try to remap the F8 key assignment with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

tnt235

F8 screen.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBAir
Have you tried hitting fn-F8?

fn being the key in the lower left of the keyboard.

OP
tnt235
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz 4GB RAM
Yes, I have tried combining the [FN] button with F8. The gray screen doesn't pop up, but the XP F8 "function" still doesn't work.

I'm perplexed...Thanks tho! :)

OP
tnt235
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz 4GB RAM
Durr...I figured it out. Pressing F8 pulled up the screen that had something to do with the Yahoo Widget program that I had recently installed.

Thanks for the help and feedback!

tnt235

Reaction score
F8 Key during installation

I have a similar problem in the install part as it asks me to agree with the F8 key which doesn't work if I do Command 8.

Any ideas? Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.