Using WD My Passport 320 gb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 1.83 ghz, 512 mb RAM, 60 gb HD
How do I get my powerbook g4 1.67 ghz machine to recognize my wd passport 320? I plugged it into the usb slot, but my hd justs flashes and makes a clicking type of noise. The powerbook doesn't seem to recognize it. The HD is perfectly fine as it works no problems on my brother's pc thinkpad. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Anthony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
How is it formated, NTFS, Fat32? If it's NTFS, that's the problem. It can only be read by windows.

If it's Fat32, I have no idea. And more than likely it would require a reformat to fix the problem.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe it's formatted as Fat32. I was reading on other forums that many other people were having the same problem as me, apparently some macs don't have enough power in the usb slot to read extrenal devices, so what I've read so far is that you can either get a Y connector to connect to 2 usb slots, or just get a usb hub and do it that way. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Does it have it's own power supply? If not that could well be your problem. Maybe consider a powered USB hub. Have you tried it in both of the ports?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My HD does not have its own power supply, and I did try connecting it to both USB slots. I'll probably just end up having to buy a powered USB hub, is there one that you'd recommend? Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.