issues with Canon office all-in-one PIXMA MX310 over network

Reaction score
Hi, i just bought a macbook, time machine router and got the free printer from apple listed in the title.

I have set up my printer via the time machine router so i could wirelessly print from my laptop.. The printing works fine and I have printed out several documents.

However, I seem unable to scan documents at all. I open the software (MP Navigator EX) and when i click scan it tells me: Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off.

It is really important that I be able to scan documents this year. Is there something I am missing or is it impossible to scan over the network?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is there something I am missing or is it impossible to scan over the network?

Exactly. The multifunction device must be attached via USB to use the scanner component. They are pretty much all like that, although a company called Keyspan makes a device called a "USB Server" that tricks your computer into thinking a network device is actually attached via USB - but don't worry about that unless you absolutely MUST have the device networked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.