help me get windows off this machine pls!

Reaction score
Hey there, so I have come across an 06 imac, I really want this computer, I've taken it off the hands of someone who knows nothing about macs. For some stupid reason it has been loaded with windows XP. Now I now there is a way to load windows and mac but this one just has windows on it. I've tried to boot it up with a mac disk but it keeps loading windows. I've also tried holding down the "c" key when booting up butt I get nothing. Any ideas?

Reaction score
cant you just install mac on it? Do you have the os x cd? If not, the guy who sold it to you should have the disk.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey there, so I have come across an 06 imac, I really want this computer, I've taken it off the hands of someone who knows nothing about macs. For some stupid reason it has been loaded with windows XP. Now I now there is a way to load windows and mac but this one just has windows on it. I've tried to boot it up with a mac disk but it keeps loading windows. I've also tried holding down the "c" key when booting up butt I get nothing. Any ideas?

Try holding down the Option key. Also, you must use the system discs that came with the machine, unless it's a Leopard retail disc. The was no Intel retail edition of Tiger (10.4), and System discs from PPC machines won't work.

OP
P
Reaction score
I tried loading an o s x cd but it wasn't the one that came with it. Dos the cd have to be an Imac specific disk?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I tried loading an o s x cd but it wasn't the one that came with it. Dos the cd have to be an Imac specific disk?

Yes, system discs are model specific. It would either need to be the original Intel System Disc for that particular model, or it would have to be a new, retail version of Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.