Some annoyances

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
I recently got my Mac, and is my first as I have just switched from Windows. Anyways there a few annoyances that I hope you guys can help me out with:

1: When I browse the internet and a save an image from it, I choose to save the image in the JPEG format onto my hard drive. Once I open the appropriate folder to view those images, they appear to be in a text format and am unable to open them in any application. Any way to fix this? (By the way this is using the Firefox browser, I haven't really used Safari yet)

2: When browsing folders and I want to move a file from one location to another, do I always have to drag the file into another folder? Or is there any way to cut and paste it like in Windows? (Mac only gives me the option to copy and paste...)

3: BIGGEST ANNOYANCE: When I plug in another drive to my machine, e.g. thumb drive, I cannot delete any of the files from that drive. For example, the other day I wanted to free up space on my thumb drive by deleting files on it. To my knowledge, the only way of doing that is moving those files to the trash. So I did just that, and it appears the files have been removed. Not so. Later I plug that thumb drive into my old Windows machine and view all hidden files and folders. Mac created a new folder called ".trashes" where all of my "deleted" data is. So really, no data has been deleted, it's still on the drive, but now simply not accessible as I have not found a way to "view all hidden files and folders" on the Mac. Is there any way to actually delete files?

Overall I still love my new MacBook, but there are some things I'd just like a little different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
1. I haven't had that problem with files saved from Firefox, even if I purposely misname a gif as jpg etc. I get a thumbnail and preview renders the image correctly.

2. I don't move much using the GUI, I do so using the mv command at the command line. It's more convenient, doesn't run into problems with the file being in use and I always have a terminal open anyway. But I've never seen a cut, not sure if someone makes a third party app to do so either.

3. to remove the trashed files, empty trash with the drive attached.

Reaction score
Edit: Dysfunction neat me to it, my reply is below anyway

---

1. Add .jpg to the filename. I don't use Firefox but in Safari you can just drag an image straight off the page (I imagine this will also work in Firefox) which might be easier.

2. There is no cut. You can either drag the file from one folder to another or use a 3rd party utility (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21769)

3. Empty the trash

OP
GK27V6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh ok thanks guys. I just realized, when I saved the images, that I renamed them and therefore forgot the extensions lol..

And alright, I'll just empty the trash next time, doesn't seem like much of a hassle.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Oh ok thanks guys. I just realized, when I saved the images, that I renamed them and therefore forgot the extensions lol..

And alright, I'll just empty the trash next time, doesn't seem like much of a hassle.

Just as an aside - if you want to save an image from a webpage, just click, hold and drag the image to your desktop or a Finder window. You'll see that it automatically saves the image to wherever you drug it to. The same goes for text, just highly a block of text, drag it and drop it to wherever you want it saved. OS X will then automatically save a text file with the selected information within it.

OP
GK27V6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just as an aside - if you want to save an image from a webpage, just click, hold and drag the image to your desktop or a Finder window. You'll see that it automatically saves the image to wherever you drug it to. The same goes for text, just highly a block of text, drag it and drop it to wherever you want it saved. OS X will then automatically save a text file with the selected information within it.

Well alright, thanks for all the info. That goes for everyone else as well.

But guess what, I've found something else. My MB has one gig of RAM. When I boot up the machine and check the iStat Pro widget it says I have over 600MB free. After using my computer for web browsing or using any other application for a couple hours, that number is usually less than 50-100MB. I know that is normal while running all these apps at once, but once I fully quit all my apps I still see only about 100MB free. Maybe I'm missing something here but when I'm running zero applications more than I originally did as soon as OS X boots up, shouldn't that extra 500MB be back? I've noticed once I surpass the 1GB mark, OS X does free up some space somehow, but not too much. I know that restarting the computer fixes this, but I don't wanna restart while I'm in the middle of something, e.g. downloading files. Any comments/suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
This is perfectly normal. I'd be willing to bet the bulk of the memory shows as 'Inactive' in istat ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
You can also simply drag the images off of the web page into a folder as a means of saving the image.

Reaction score
2: When browsing folders and I want to move a file from one location to another, do I always have to drag the file into another folder? Or is there any way to cut and paste it like in Windows? (Mac only gives me the option to copy and paste...)

Not sure you if you are already aware of this or not but if you keep the mouse button pressed in whilst you are moving a file in the finder, it will automatically keep moving it into each folder and then subfolder(s) until you release the mouse in the location you require the file to be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.