Boot Camp...ergghhh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 180 GB; iMac 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 160 GB; 30 GB iPod Video
Hey guys,

Having trouble installing windows xp onto my macbook pro. i partitioned 6 gigs of my 180 gig mac os x drive and used the boot camp migration assistant. i am using the Reinstallation CD (including service pack 1a) by Dell. It's not working at all, I get so far as the blue screen set up, and then at one step it says that i haven't partitioned (when i have) and that i am trying to select an 'unknown disk'- and that is the only disk that shows up. What am I doing incorrectly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 4gigs RAM white macbook, Seagate Hybrid Drive =)
i think you have the same problem i encountered when i tried to install xp, when you tried installing windows i don't think that you could install it using a restore disk from another computer, i think you need a installation disk that is only windows, that way it will create the partition. What i did when i made practically the same mistake i had to install windows completly and then use mi Mac OS restore cds to be able to get Leopard up and running again.
I hope this info helps and good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
chrisdistaulo,

Go to Applications>Utilities>Boot Camp Assistant.app and open it up. There's a button on the first page that you need to print - it's "Print Installation & Setup Guide." It tells you you can only use a retail version of Windows, SP2 if XP, Sp1 if Vista, I believe. Anyway, reinstall disks will not work.

Print the guide and follow it to a T and you'll be OK.

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.