• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FCP4 or Premiere

M

mauly

I want to buy a computer for editing.
I have used FCP4 and Premiere a few times each so don't mind which one to use!!

So the question is: do I need to shell out £3000 for a G5
or £1500 for a PC

Any advice? thanks! :)

OP
G

goodolebwinches

Final Cut Pro 4 is much better than Adobe Premiere 6.5 or Pro stand alone video editing!
However, Adobe Video Collection with Premiere, Photoshop, and After Effects offers a few little things to the "Special Effects" arena.
I use Photoshop 7 and After Effects 5.5, but prefer to then import them into Final Cut Pro 4 for editing. If you are really into video editing, then you must get a Dual Processor system. Final Cut Pro 4 is good enough to venture into the world of Macintosh. A quality PC on par with the G5 for video editing isn't going to be cheap, so don't act like the cheaper is just as good. Shell out the money!

OP
T

The Dragon

A bentley is not an mitsubishi but they are both cars.
But i know wich one i would chose............

OP
R

RobDreugan

If you're looking to do professional video editing, i would say go to FCP4, premiere is good for only doing edits, much like imovie. If yer doing simple editing and that's all you'll delve into then it's a no brainer.

B/c I'm doing professional quality video, and its my trade, I went to a mac, and final cut pro 4.

Just cuz you have a pc doesn't mean yer limited to just premiere, but anything more advanced like avid express DV or vegas video will get up in price more.

Again it just all depends what yer doing this for.

OP
S

sfiga

FCP4 was the main reason i got a Mac. I've used Avid, Premier, and would take FCP1.5 over either of them. FCP just gives you a great deal of control and is incredibly easy yet powerful. If you move towards Avid, be prepared to spend about the same amount on a PC as you would on a G5 Dually. It devours resources.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.