Huge Problem!!!! Please Help!!!!!!

Reaction score
First, hi, I'm Mac Convert, a former PC owner, I love Macs, glad to be here, whatever.

Anyway:
This isn't a major problem, I just said that to get your attention. But please don't go away. I have a new iMac, OS X, just had it a couple of months. This is a new problem I've not had before: whenever I click on system preferences, it doesn't open, and a question mark (?) symbol appears on the icon. Please Help!!!!! I need to be able to manage my computer!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
are you selecting it in the doc or under the  menu?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Are you sure nothing happens when you select System Preferences under the  menu?

Have you moved any files around in the system or library folders?

AS a first idea, run Disk Utility (in Applications > Utilities) and run repair permissions. If that doesn't work come back here

OP
Mac Convert
Reaction score
It didn't work. Now the system preferences icon is removed from the dock, too.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you've moved the System Preferences application from its original location (the Applications folder). The reason the icon on the Dock is now a ? is because it's just a shortcut to the application and that shortcut is no longer valid.

What you need to do is figure out where you moved it to. You can do a search for System Preferences in Spotlight. That should point you to the new location - and once you find it, just drag and drop it back into the Applications folder and it should be good as new.

If you can't find it, you'll need to extract the program from your system discs by using a program like Pacifist.

OP
Mac Convert
Reaction score
I can't find it. Are you sure there's nothing else I can do? I REALLY don't want to have to pay for that thing.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't find it. Are you sure there's nothing else I can do? I REALLY don't want to have to pay for that thing.

Pacifist is a free trial. Just use that, pop in your System Disc 1 and browse the disc until you find System Preferences. Then, copy System Preferences back to your Applications folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Ban him for a dishonest subject line.

Reaction score
This great thing about this forum is that you don't have to FAKE a major problem to get a response... everyone is soooo friendly and patient with our newbie questions.

Glad to have you here!!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Huge Problem!!!! Please Help!!!!!!... Please Help!!!!! I need to be able to manage my computer!!!!!!
You might also want to check here: System Preferences->Keyboards & Mice

Your key repeat rate seems to be set a little high.
It looks like you're getting an obscenely large number of completely unnecessary exclamation points when you type.

OP
Mac Convert
Reaction score
Could someone explain how to use pacifist? I open, click not yet, and then what do I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
couldnt you just use the disc's included with the machine to do an archive and install? It would definitely get system preferences back on there.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Give this a try, it's straight from my Applications folder.

It may/may not fix it. If it doesn't it gives us somewhere to go next.

NOTE: I have removed the attachment. OS X is copyrighted software and none of its components are open to the public domain. I know you meant well, but please refrain from doing this in the future.

Reaction score
My apologies. Hope he's able to resolve this issue.

My only advice now, would be to look for an Applications folder w/ Pacifist. What you found may have been named System Preferences, but not what you needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Do an archive and install and you will have everything you need. Pacifist might do it, but it sounds like its just wasting time for the most part.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.