Upgrading from XP to Vista: is it worth it, and how do i save my data?

Reaction score
hey everybody. ive been a lurker for a little while but i have some questions about windows and such.

first- how does vista run on a macbook pro (system specs are at the bottom of this post)? xp runs VERY fast, but will vista be any slower? will it be any faster? will my games run the same speed in vista? (Call of Duty 4 is the most graphics intense one that i have)

is vista more secure against adware/virus's and stuff?

is there a way to upgrade to vista, without loosing all of my data in xp? (i have mainly games installed. only like 5 of them, but its the only reason i run windows and do not want to loose any of my game data)

is vista worth the upgrade? people say that once you shut off all of the settings that come turned on with vista, its not half bad, but ive never used it...

system specs:

mackbook pro
2.2 ghz intel core 2 duo
4 gb 667 MHz ram
nvidia GeForce 8600M GT graphics card
128 mb total vram

EDIT: i do have an external harddrive that i can use to back up data, but i donno if a backup from xp is transferable/usable in vista...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.