I'm famous! Well, not really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Hello,

I am an animation student. Over the summer of 2004 I made a music video, on my G5, for a friend of mine. It was one of those favours you do for a mate, didn't really think anymore of it once I was done.

Well, one thing led to another and last night there it was on MTV2 (UK). Yay! The only reason I'm posting this is to big up the Mac. My G5 was an absolute wonder to work with on this project and it just goes to show how much more creative you can be when you have lovely bit of hardware and the best OS ever to work with. Any aspiring filmmakers and animators out there: GET A G5, THEY'RE AMAZING!!!!

In case anyone is interested, it was drawn and coloured using Photoshop CS, composited using After Effects 6.0 professional and edited in Final Cut Pro HD.

Here's the link if you wanna see it:

http://www.themessiahcomplex.net/video_emd.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Wow...That was quite good!

Congratulations, however I do not watch MTV, so I couldn't see it on there.

Well, just shows you have a little hard work can pay off!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
thats pretty cool. I woulda used illustrator instead of photoshop, that why it looked sorta pixelated, but still good.

D

Desolate One

Pretty great, reminds me of a Ninja Tune video... Mr Scruff in particular. Better not let Mr. Lucas have a go at it. ;)

OP
johnnyluu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the responses.

Macman said:
thats pretty cool. I woulda used illustrator instead of photoshop, that why it looked sorta pixelated, but still good.

It's pixelated because of the compression. The orginal file is full DV quality and over 800 MB in size the one online has been compressed down to under 10.

And in response to Desolate One: Being sued by George Lucas would be a compliment! :)

Z

zeppster

That sounds pretty cool, but the link seems to be broken:( so I can't watch it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Really great job, that was awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
No doubt.. I've very impressed.. great job!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
Holy crap! That was so amazing... Great job! :headphone

Z

zeppster

Wow that was awesome. So you say you did this for a friend? Did he pay you? was he the one that produced the song? Are you still in touch with him? Whats the deal?

OP
johnnyluu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
zeppster said:
Wow that was awesome. So you say you did this for a friend? Did he pay you? was he the one that produced the song? Are you still in touch with him? Whats the deal?

Here's the deal. If anyone is actually interested. I'm currently in the second year of my Animation Degree at University. My friend is a flash programmer working in London. We've known each other for about 5 years. In his spare time he makes music. He's in an electro-punk band named The Errorplains. He also produces tracks under the guise of The Messiah Complex. We always agreed that he would handle the music and I would handle the images. That way if either of us ever got a break, we could bring the other in with us as a kind of package deal. Alas I did not get paid, but then I din't expect to. At the moment we're just working hard on getting noticed. Hoepfully the money will come afterwards! :)

The Vid everyone has seen is an independant release. It actually cost us a shed load of money to get the song pressed onto vinyl and it's being sold on some internest based record shops. We probably won't make any money, we've only had about three sales so far!

I've made a DVD for the single, but we haven't decided what to do with that yet. We're hoping the exposure from the MTV2 thing will put us in a better position for the follow up single next year. Hopefully we'll get a small/middle sized record company interested inreleasing it. Then hopefully a bigger record company will be intereste in the one after that.

Having said that, we might not get anywhere at all, but we're going **** well try to. After all chasing dreams is much more fun than just having them!

By the way, thank you all for your amazingly positive feed back. I really apreciate it. I know that not everyone is going to dig my work, so it's nice to hear when people do!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
thats cool. I just copied the movie onto my computer from the link, cause IIm gonna email it to a friend, its only 10mb. but its pretty cool, lemme ask, is it a muxed track, or is there seperate audio and video tracks? I can check myself later, but if u can tell me, Id appreciate it.

I

ibmac'n

Props to you dude! Very nice. So how long did it take you to put this all together?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.93GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon processor RuningSnoLeopard v 10.6.4 DDRe
You'll probablly in need of an good agent!

I'll say you should be proud!!

Congrats!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I have to say, very nice job, Congratulations

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.