• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows Mohave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" with Retina 4K Display, 3.1GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB Flash Storage Late 2015
I just watched the video that MS put together and it reminded me of something similar I have seen. Penn and Teller are a comedy duo that have a TV show on Showtime. The show is called Bulsh**. Each week they take a subject and reveal the BS behind it. In this one particular show they did about bottled water. They went into a restaurant and created a water menu with all these supposed fancy bottled waters from around the world. They had a man playing the equivalent of a Sommelier but in this case he was the house expert on the bottled water. The customers were paying up to $10 a bottle. The problem was that the bottles they were drinking were filled out back of the restaurant with a garden hose. The customers were interviewed and asked which were their favorites and what their impressions were. Being people, they were going on and on about how wonderful the water was. When they were told what they were really drinking and that they had been tricked, some were very offended and stormed out of the restaurant and others not wanting to appear foolish played along with the gag. I wonder if MS did not show us the reactions of the people who were offended by being made to look foolish. I have never viewed the Mac vs. PC commercials as anything but entertainment. They never made me want to buy a Mac. Seeing a Mac made me want to buy a Mac. MS is taking this all too seriously, me thinks. Maybe they should spend the $300 mil on making Vista better or maybe on Win 7. I am not sure what the Mohave demonstration proves anything other than people can be willing to have an opinion about something they know nothing about. Relax MS your making billions off your mediocre effort.:Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Semi off-topic, but I loved that bottled water segment, hilarious!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
MS was just trying to prove that Vista biggest problem isn't security or bugs, its perception. In my opinion, they did that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I am not sure what to think of that

Not the most inspired piece of advertising I have seen, I am not sure if "Look, it's not as bad as you think" is a particularly smart advertising strategy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I am not sure if "Look, it's not as bad as you think" is a particularly smart advertising strategy

PMSL at that comment!!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I am not sure what to think of that

Not the most inspired piece of advertising I have seen, I am not sure if "Look, it's not as bad as you think" is a particularly smart advertising strategy

I don't think that's the strategy at all... the point is that most of the negative rep Vista gets comes not from how the OS actually is, but from the highly publicised (and often misinformed) bashing by Apple and the like that people buy into so easily. Hence the rating for "Mojave" is twice the rating these same users gave Vista, the same OS. I suppose another way to interpret it is that people who say Vista is terrible generally haven't actually used Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
The biggest issue with Windows is their genuine Windows product authentication scheme and the bloatware. I don't care for their demanding that I authenticate my copy of windows by installing garbage on my computer to do so, just so they can push updates to try to make their software run correctly. And Vista is a resource pig.

Reaction score
P&T's Bulls*** has got to be my favorite show (that hasn't been canceled). I love the segments where you see the guy laughing maniacally while filling up the bottles! Could you possibly provide a link to this M$ video? I'm up for a laugh or two. Vista sucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I suppose another way to interpret it is that people who say Vista is terrible generally haven't actually used Vista.

I would disagree. Everyone I personally know, not on forums or on-line but actually know, who bashes Vista has actually used it (most have moved back to XP) and NONE of them are Mac users.

Apple can lead the pack Lemmings just as well as M$ can, but the proof is in the pudding, as they say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Well, I didn't say it was actually the case, but that it's one way of interpreting the "data" that Microsoft has collected with this little experiment (and probably the one Microsoft would most like people to think of).

That said, I will NOW say I find it to be the case more often than not, especially among people too terrified to use Windows Vista for the first time. It doesn't change the fact that Vista has its issues, though. Personally, the thing about Vista that worries me (if I were to use it) is the lack of compatibility with a lot of older programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Come on guys, Vista's not that bad... If you have a powerful enough computer( like the homemade Top of the line gaming machine I'm on now) and a computer science degree(like me) then Vista works just fine.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
Come on guys, Vista's not that bad... If you have a powerful enough computer( like the homemade Top of the line gaming machine I'm on now) and a computer science degree(like me) then Vista works just fine.;D

Well... Those who don't have a very strong machine , and a computer science degree would think otherwise..

The reason why I really hate it is because that I used it when it first released. It was horrible and it ruined my computer experience. Crashes, Compatibility and MOST of my drivers didn't work. I had to buy a new printer and then found out that the printer did not work with Vista. ( Thats me being cheap ) Anyway. My personal opinion on a compter is that it works for you. Not the other way round.

Maybe now it might be better after some updates. But I still wouldn't go back to Vista. Its like eating at somewhere nice, and then you find a cockroach cooked in to the food? Would you ever go back even if they've improved their service?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Well... Those who don't have a very strong machine , and a computer science degree would think otherwise..

I was poking fun at the ridiculous system requirements and the user unfriendliness of Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You do know you can shut off Aero (the silly new shiny look) with a few simple mouse clicks and then Vista looks like, operates in a nearly identical fashion as, and has more similar system requirements to Windows XP, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The topic's been hijacked, but

I drink bottled water...

... I fill the bottle up from the tap in the morning then get refills from the cooler at work (which filters and cools tap water by the way)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Where can I see the Windows video?

Reaction score
first of all, these computers were all most likely top of the line computers with maxed out specs.(Microsoft’s not going to stop at any expense if it might turn vista around) second of all, these users aren’t using vista on a day to day basis and having the problems that so many people have run into. (people aren’t going to install applications and drivers on one of these machines) and third, i don’t believe people are acting sheepish, i think that this test just had somewhat of a placebo effect. “it’s new so it must be better!” (if someone gave me a beta of snow leopard, i would probably think it was faster just because it's supposed to be.) My brother uses vista so i’ve had the opportunity to use it again after updates and such, and although it’s better, i’ve still ran into some problems. I say MS should focus all it’s time and energy on Windows 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Agree they need to figure out how to do one thing at a time and do it right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.