Finding WEP-Key, help.

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a new member in this community and I'm already happy with this forum.

I was wondering if you could help me find my WEP-Key. I need it to register my PS3 on wireless connection, it asks for my WEP-Key but I don't know where to find it.

PS: There must be very threads with this kind of stuff and I did a lot of research and I can't seem to find the answer. BTW my airport is Aiport Extreme. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well it's whatever you assigned it when you set up your Airport Extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
i don't have an Apple Extreme anymore, but did have the the wireless that looked like a flying saucer a few years ago, (was that the extreme?) anyway, i seem to remember a place to reset the airport hub on the unit. you needed a paperclip. I may be confusing this with another wireless I had, but check and see if there is someplace to reset the unit.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would attach an Ethernet cable directly to the unit and use the Airport Utility (Applications => Utilities) to change the WEP key to something you'll remember. Better yet, while you're in there, switch it to WPA instead since WEP is all but dead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
just make up anything you want, it will give you a standard on what you need to have in the key to make it work. WPA TIK key lets you write out anything like ("password" or "MazdasRule") whatever you want.

hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Assuming you told OSX to remember the password for your network, it will be stored in keychain access which is in /Applications/Utilities. Open that application, and scroll through until you see the name of the wireless network you're connected to. Click on it, and there's a "show password" option down the bottom (you'll have to enter your main keychain/login password to see it).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.