IRC Channel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Ok, we now have an IRC channel set up. You can reach it via a JAVA client at : tp://www.mac-forums.com/jirc/ (outdated link removed). It is not the greatest client in the world, but it works, and if you don't want to get involved with a standalone IRC client, it will be fine...

If you wish to get to it from a standalone IRC client, you must log into efnet. Here are the specs:

Server : irc.servercentral.net
Network : efnet
Channel : #mac-forums.com

Any server on the efnet network should work, but this one specified above is the one I use.

If you need a client, I recommend X-Chat Aqua for OSX. You can get it here : X-Chat Aqua

So have at it... we could possibly setup certain chat times later, if it proves to be something people will use.

IMPORTANT: This will not work with Safari. It will only work with Internet Explorer and Netscape at the moment. I don't know if it is a certificate issue, or if Safari can't handle the JAVA.

INTERNET EXPLORER OR NETSCAPE USERS ONLY!

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some of you might have noticed that the channel doesn't have a BOT in it anymore. I took the BOT down due to security issues. So currently there no OFFICIALLY support chat room. I am looking for new alternatives, and will let you know what happens.

G

gatorparrots

If you have a Cable or DSL line, you could host the IRC channel yourself with your own IRC server daemon. I run ngircd here on an old Mac OS X 10.1.5 system. The packets of text don't consume much bandwidth and the server itself is very effecient, so even on a workstation machine it wouldn't hardly be noticeable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Originally posted by Emrys@Mar 3 2003, 06:10 PM
Some of you might have noticed that the channel doesn't have a BOT in it anymore. I took the BOT down due to security issues. So currently there no OFFICIALLY support chat room. I am looking for new alternatives, and will let you know what happens.
Great, I hope you can find a solution. I was actually going to post a suggestion to get an IRC or chat room for our forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Also, another nice IRC client is Snak (outdated link removed). Actively developed and full featured. Check it out.

G

gatorparrots

One drawback: Snak is not free. JediKnight II is free, and is one of the better Cocoa IRC clients:
tp://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcg...?id=2258&db=mac (outdated link removed)

Of course, Fire can be used for basic IRC chat functionality.
Fire

Also, if enough interest develops, we could develop our own proprietary IRC client that will only connect to our own channel -- as other fora like macosx.com and macfora.com have done.

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently there is an IRC server setup at irc.mac-forums.com. You can log in and goto room #mac-forums if you wish to participate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.