five & 1/2 inch floppy disks?!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have recently been given a number of old 5 1/2 inch floppy disks, from which i need to retrieve the data from within them.
However i have no idea of how to go about it.

Does anyone know how i could possibly do this?

Thanks,
Doc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You will need to find a really old PC on ebay with a 51/2 inch drive

but then you face the problem of getting the info off a hard drive, a 386 IBM should have that drive, but being magnetic media there may be no recoverable data on there at all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have recently been given a number of old 5 1/2 inch floppy disks, from which i need to retrieve the data from within them.
However i have no idea of how to go about it.

5 1/2 or 5 1/4??

Endorsing louishen's advice, I suggest a further step. Find if you can an old PC, even an old PPC Mac (eg. 9500 or 9600) with both 5.25" and 3.5" drives. The drives can be external 'bare' ones, which can be connected by scsi (serial?) cable. If possible, transfer the data from the 5.25 to 3.5 disks (yes, it's an extra step).

3.5" external floppy drives with USB connector may still be available (IBM produced them - I use one occasionally) but where in your location they might be found I cannot say.

Magnetic data is unstable after xx years, but you might be pleasantly surprised at how well it's been preserved. I have 3.5 floppy disks retained for nostalgic reasons, and the material thereon is still okay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.