XP on MacBook Pro with bootcamp 2.1 - wireless not working

Reaction score
Hello I have just purchased a macbook pro and installed xp pro with bootcamp and the atheros 5008 wireless only works in the mac os.

I have been researching this for a while but have had no luck and have upgraded to the latest drivers.

So please tell me:

1. Will I be able to get this working.
2. Links or instructions that will help.

Thanks
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
John,

Have you set up a network on your PC? If not, go to the Control Panel, Network Setup Wizard and set one up using the appropriate choices (This computer connects too the Internet... Then select a Workgroup name that you will also cite (and use) in your Mac sharing - System Preferences>Sharing> File Sharing. You will also need to go to the Options in Sharing and make sure the checks are in the check box for the lower choice (SMB?). Also make sure your Airport card has selected your network (System Preferences> Network>Airport. You may have to use a password if you have a secure network with your modem.

Double check that both firewalls are open for the network between computers...

Hope this works for you...

Noel

OP
J
Reaction score
I have file and print sharing disabled in my wireless connection properties.

I did this as I was informed it was a security risk.

Anyway I try and connect and every time it takes a while and then says limited to no connectivity and I cannot go online.

Thanks for early reply.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have file and print sharing disabled in my wireless connection properties.

I did this as I was informed it was a security risk.

Anyway I try and connect and every time it takes a while and then says limited to no connectivity and I cannot go online.

Thanks for early reply.

Unless you're planning on using your MacBook in a private network leave the print and file sharing disabled.

As for the wireless problem: Have you tried to hook an ethernet cable to the MacBook to see if you can access the net that way thru Windows?

Also - open Control Panel, System, and go to the hardware tree in hardware devices and see if your airport card is recognized and that a driver for it has been installed. (I'm assuming you know how, if not, post back)

Post back the results and we can go from there.

Regards.

Reaction score
i have a similar problem... the driver is up to date, and i can even detect the wireless network, but here comes the problem. Normal windows would prompt me for a password for a secured network, but w/ boot comp XP doesn't prompt me for a password, instead... it shows, can't not find a certificate to validate... or something similar... i tried to go to advance and setting up the password myself, but had no luck there either.. plz help

OP
J
Reaction score
Okay I went into device manager and the card is recognised and the driver is fine.

I have no LAN cable only wireless.

Is it not the boot camp drivers - I found an article relating to this, can I post links on this forum?

I forgot to say that with the latest Atheros AR5008 driver there is a client utility which looks to be quite good - I have been using this but still with no luck. Is my best bet to use this or the Windows Zero Wireless Config?

Macwowie - not sure we have the same problem give me the full error and Ill see if I or anyone else can help.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
John,

Yes, you can post links on this forum. That's a good way to post relevant info...

Noel

Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue, though not sure it's exactly the same. I have a MacBook Pro that I have installed XP via bootcamp. The wireless card is seen and drivers are installed. I am using the Windows Zero Wireless Config and have a network using WEP manually set up on the laptop. My Mac is not even seeing the WAP (Cisco Aironet 1100). It does see another wireless network (free Wi-Fi) but I have a fujitsu laptop running Windows XP that can see the network and connect to it without issue. I've even taken the Mac and set it next to my WAP with no luck. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Problem with Mac via Bootcamp "Cannot Validate Certificate

i have a similar problem... the driver is up to date, and i can even detect the wireless network, but here comes the problem. Normal windows would prompt me for a password for a secured network, but w/ boot comp XP doesn't prompt me for a password, instead... it shows, can't not find a certificate to validate... or something similar... i tried to go to advance and setting up the password myself, but had no luck there either.. plz help

How did you solve this problem...do you remember? What it a security protocol issue with your router.

Hope you can help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.