Me.com not Firefox compatible ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
A friend of mine sent me a link to his me.com web page, which has pictures and videos of his family. I remember being able to view these pages from my linux box before using FF 2, but now, the pictures don't show up in Firefox at all, either on my Linux box, or on my Macbook Pro. He's getting the same results, apparently.

This will be a huge problem for me, as I just activated my .me account and planned on uploading pictures for my wife's family and such. I'm sure that they either use IE or FF, but certainly not Safari. I personally, really dislike Safari and even if it wasn't sluggish (on the MBP), I'd not want to use it just because I was being forced to, in order to use the .me account. I find this agitating as ****. And now, when I go to www.me.com, I can't even browse the site because it says that FF is not supported, and that I should have either Safari or, get this... FF 2 or later ? But I AM using FF 3 !?

Is Apple trying to force people to use Safari ? Cuz I won't bite and might consider canceling my .me account if that's true. Though I'd have to think there's a more logical explanation. Risking the alienation of so many people wouldn't be a good move IMO.

Thoughts ?

Doug

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Forgot to post a screen shot.

snapshot3.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
When you log in to me.com does it all work ok?

I'm on Firefox 3 and it's all fine. Did you update from the beta version?

Picture 26.png

Picture 27.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I don't have an account so I can't test. As skaheadpunk asked, what version are you running and do you have any add-ons or extensions installed that could be causing a problem. For example a User-Agent addon that is telling the site you are a different browser instead of Firefox?

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't log in at all. Can't get past the page I posted in the screen shot. I'm not fully surprised on my Linux box because FF isn't updated as regularly as Mozilla publishes them (the updates).

On the MBP however, I can log in, and that's all good. But what I can't do for some reason, is view my friend's web page which is embedded with a picture gallery in FF 3, and neither can he. He doesn't care much since he uses Safari, but I do care... I guess in theory it shouldn't matter because I'll be doing editing in iPhoto and Aperture 2 and uploading straight from there, but I'm pretty anal, and would like to know that everything on both ends is working properly. I'll have to look into updating FF 3 on the Linux side.

By the way, I really like those themes you're using. What are they ?

\Doug.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have an account so I can't test. As skaheadpunk asked, what version are you running and do you have any add-ons or extensions installed that could be causing a problem. For example a User-Agent addon that is telling the site you are a different browser instead of Firefox?

No, I'm not running any agents as suggested. As for the version :
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008071717 Firefox/3.0.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Same version as mine.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps it's a setting my friend is using for his authoring on the web page ? I've no idea if that even makes sense since I have yet to tinker with iWeb etc..

I can't post the link to his page until I talk to him and ask if it's ok though.

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
By the way, I really like those themes you're using. What are they ?

\Doug.

That's actually the default FF3 skin for the OS X version.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so check this out.. My friend sent me his resume. You can obviously see the front page, but if you go to the "work" tab, the page is blank in FF. I uninstalled Safari so I can't view it in that, but he says it works fine in Safari:

Justin's resume

Does anyone here have a similarly built web page, which does work in FF 3 ? I guess I might have to send a bug report to Mozilla..

Doug

Edit: Apparently this isn't a FF problem. I'm speaking with a friend of mine at the moment, and he can't view it in Opera either. He says the vid loads fine though, but no pics. That means to me it's an Apple issue.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looked through the apple.com support forums, and found a possible answer.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1632050&tstart=15

The second link posted by Mirelle, seems to hold an answer for some people, but I'm wondering if the case is having to republish already established web pages for people such as my friend ? This still seems like a huge bug in terms of creating new web pages. Figures, this is just my luck. Everything was smooth up until I bought a Mac...

Doug

Reaction score
iWeb versus Firefox

hello,
i have similar problem, i made very simple site in iWeb,
published on web.mac.com/movie64
it is ok to open with IE, safari, opera but not with firefox
/possible to open blog but not album/
if u know how to make it ok also for firefox, please let me know, thanx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.