PDA

View Full Version : "No output devices found" ?

rich a
07-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Hi all,

The other day, when I opened my MBA from sleep mode, a gray screen popped up saying that I had to restart my computer by pressing on the power button. Well, since then, I have had absolutely no sound on my computer.

When I try to use the keyboard to raise/lower the volume, a little screen pops up with a circle with a line through it. In the menu bar at the top of my screen, where my volume status should be, there is only a blank space. Additionally, in System Preferences, there are "no output devices found."

I have done nothing out of the ordinary, so I'm unsure as to what happened, and it's driving me nuts. I would really appreciate any help/answers you can offer.

Thanks!

rshames
07-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Try doing a pram zap. Shut down the computer, start up and hold down the option-apple-P-R keys until you hear the startup chime 3 times then let go.

rich a
07-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I've actually tried the PRAM reset already, which didn't fix the problem (and I never heard the chime).

bsdenn2
07-18-2008, 08:34 PM
I am also having the same problem, plus i have black boxes that tend to appear around icons and move with a page scroll but remain in the same part of the screen. I tried the PRAM reset and did not hear the chime or have any success. Please help!

macxprt
07-21-2008, 09:57 AM
There is a solution that has been reported to fix this issue. It requires cleaning of corrupted audio components. It's kind-of lengthy, and I'm in a tight spot now, getting ready to leave. If this is still a problem to anyone, please email me, and I'll be happy to detail it out.

Best..

TheYoungHustla
07-23-2008, 02:22 PM
There is a solution that has been reported to fix this issue. It requires cleaning of corrupted audio components. It's kind-of lengthy, and I'm in a tight spot now, getting ready to leave. If this is still a problem to anyone, please email me, and I'll be happy to detail it out.

Best..

I'm having the exact same problem on my Macbook Pro.

rich a
07-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Well, now I'm thinking it's a hardware issue.

I reinstalled OSX last night and the problem remains. Cannot toggle volume at all and System Preferences reads "no output devices found."

I will have to take it over to an Apple Store ASAP.

Filo_92
11-24-2009, 02:53 AM
to TheYoungHustla
I have a MacBook Air with the same problem no sound or sound devices. You said that there was a solution to do with no sound with MacBook Air. Can you help me to fix it? Thanks

mgmdesign
03-19-2010, 10:05 PM
After trying every solution on the net and being able to fix it once I know it was not a hardware problem. Some thing someone started with in one discussion lead me to look into the MIDI Setup. I have reboot my MBA several times and it has worked every time I think this may be the fix.

Step One: Open Applications.
Step Two: Find Utilities folder and open.
Step Three: Find the Audio MIDI Setup icon and open.
Step Four: Under Audio Devices will be the IAC Drive. If it Greyed Out, Select and click on “Add Devices”.
Step Five: If the word BUS is in this box select and remove.
Step Six: Make sure that the “Device is online” is checked. Your IAC Driver Icon should be all red.
FINALLY RESTART. Your sound should be working now.

Please let me know if it works for you.

TattooedMac
03-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks for posting as it might help someone in the future, as this thread is two years old :)

Cheers

mgmdesign
03-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi TatooMac,
Yes, I understand that this is an older thread. The last message before mine was from Nov 2009 so mac owners are still dealing with this particular problem. I did an exhaustive search for an answer and found none. I then took my year old MBA to the Genius Bar and then had no clue and were going to replace the audio flex cable and audio board for 300.00. I was able to to fix it once at the Genius Bar by deleting the preference file bezelservices, but that worked only once and then the sound was gone again. No where have I found a solution for this and many owners have paid out the 300+ to replace said parts. So I went ahead and posted the solution for someone in the near future who can not afford a new laptop and purchase one of the many different models that is/was having this problem. So yes I am not totally oblivious.:Evil:

TattooedMac
03-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi TatooMac,
Yes, I understand that this is an older thread. The last message before mine was from Nov 2009 so mac owners are still dealing with this particular problem. I did an exhaustive search for an answer and found none. I then took my year old MBA to the Genius Bar and then had no clue and were going to replace the audio flex cable and audio board for 300.00. I was able to to fix it once at the Genius Bar by deleting the preference file bezelservices, but that worked only once and then the sound was gone again. No where have I found a solution for this and many owners have paid out the 300+ to replace said parts. So I went ahead and posted the solution for someone in the near future who can not afford a new laptop and purchase one of the many different models that is/was having this problem. So yes I am not totally oblivious.:Evil:

And greatly appreciated and as i posted before Thanks for the solution. I just bought the date of the thread up, BC so many people dont look at the date and are confused as to why no-one has answered there question. By no means was i having a digg @ you ;)

mgmdesign
03-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Thank you for the clarification. I guess I am so use to being attacked in other forums (mainly for being a macophile) that I get my hackles up to easily. So I apologize for my bad.:Oops::Oops::Blushing:

Polebull
04-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Hi there,

First post on these forums - hopefully more to come! Well, I'll get right to it. I have the same issue with my MBA as reported by the above users...I suddenly lost all sound on my MBA, my volume icon in the right hand corner is blanked out, when I press the volume button a little crossed out circle comes up beneath it, and no output audio devices are listed in system settings. I've tried the PRAM reset as well as doing the fix that mgmdesign suggested above. Neither worked...more over everything in the Audio Midi setup tool was blanked out and it simply stated "no devices found on system" - I couldnt even select Add devices. I've tried everything short of a system reboot - which I would do if not for the fact that I'm in the middle of a lot of work, as well as not having any of the installation disks (i'm abroad). Any help at all would be greatly appreciated - I'm completely lost and would love to have my sound back on my laptop!

Thanks

bobtomay
04-25-2010, 09:50 PM
I'd suggest you try re-booting. You haven't done the solution provided by mgmdesign as the last step is to re-boot the machine.

Polebull
04-26-2010, 05:34 AM
I've rebooted several times to no avail...besides I can't even complete the first several steps of mgmdesigns solution as within my audio midi setup tool everything is blanked out. I've been reading around other forums and it seems this is a hardware issue with the audio flex cable. I was hoping maybe its not and I wont have to bring it in to an Apple store, but it seems I'll have to if I can't find any other solution.

mgmdesign
04-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Go back to your "Audio Midi setup" select the IAC Driver and double click to open. Open more information and select ports. In the port window select what ever is listed and remove with the remove selected port button. Go back up to the 4th item down in this window and check mark "Device is online." Let me know if this works or not.

In System Preferences you will not be able to select anything in this window until you make the changes to the Audio Midi setup in your Utilities folder.

Polebull
04-27-2010, 10:21 AM
I can't select anything in my audio midi setup in the utilites folder...it's empty and just says "No Devices Found on System"...I cant select the IAC driver. There's nothing there...I guess i just have to get it repaired then?

mgmdesign
04-27-2010, 11:12 PM
I went through your previous posts and did not find that you had tried to reinstall you system software. I would do this before any work on the hardware. It still seems to be a software problem. If you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself take it in to be done.

Polebull
04-29-2010, 04:01 PM
I'll do that then..ill be going home in a weeks time so hopefully i can bring everything back to normal with a software reboot. If not then i'll take it in to get repaired...or just buy a new one. Anyways, thank you for all the help - much appreciated!

SergeiV
05-05-2010, 05:53 AM
I can't select anything in my audio midi setup in the utilites folder...it's empty and just says "No Devices Found on System"...I cant select the IAC driver. There's nothing there...I guess i just have to get it repaired then?

You are in the wrong window. You are in the Audio window. The same happened to me the first time I opened the MIDI utility.

You have to click Window > Show MIDI window.

SergeiV
05-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Step Four: Under Audio Devices will be the IAC Drive. If it Greyed Out, Select and click on “Add Devices”.
Step Six: Make sure that the “Device is online” is checked. Your IAC Driver Icon should be all red.
FINALLY RESTART.

I think I ve procedeed through all the steps but still no sound. Please have a look at this screenshot:

http://i43.tinypic.com/bgegt1_th.png
(http://i43.tinypic.com/bgegt1.png)

I have a MacBook Air running Snow Leopard.

aramgt
05-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Hi I have the same problem I plugin the iPhone's headphones in my Macbook after remove it, the red light appaer and the internal speakers never works again, and also no devices found, just the digital output,

I tried the trick with the toothstick and never works.

Please help me!!!

Usedtolovemac
07-28-2010, 04:55 AM
No output (or input) devices found in my sound preferences panel. Not greyed out. They don't exist. Nothing is in the list.

Toothpick doesn't work. Haven't tried a headset.

Permissions fix and restart doesn't work.

I bought this mac new in April 2010. I re-installed yesterday a 10.5.something disk and now I'm not sure that was what came with this puppy (I'm not that organized). Anyway, I'm up to 10.5.8 and the most recent is over 10.6.

What happened to my sound????

bobtomay
07-28-2010, 07:15 AM
No Mac had 10.5 that shipped as new in April 2010. Where are your original discs and where did you get this 10.5 disc? Why are you re-installing? What Mac do you have?

You'll likely not get the sound working without re-installing 10.6 that shipped with your machine at this point. If the sound card changed, 10.5 will not have the drivers for your hardware.

scip
09-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi, my first generation air meet the same problem these days. It out of warranty,our local apple store will charge 120usd just for checking. I can not afford it. I reinstall the system, still no sound.

At last I solved the problem by just screw the back and clean the inside.

My suggestion is open and clean the dust before send it to apple store or replace the parts. I only spent 1.5usd bought a good crew driver.

Best regards from Beijing China,
Mawen

scip
09-22-2010, 12:27 AM
30minutes after cleaning work, it no sound again, problem solved finally by change sound flex cable.

regards,
mawen

Boulderrocks
03-05-2011, 03:24 PM
After trying every solution on the net and being able to fix it once I know it was not a hardware problem. Some thing someone started with in one discussion lead me to look into the MIDI Setup. I have reboot my MBA several times and it has worked every time I think this may be the fix.

FINALLY RESTART. Your sound should be working now.

Please let me know if it works for you.

I tried this fix and I got stuck on Step 4, since the IAC drive does not appear in the audio MIDI setup area. Suggestions?

ShawnDKane
08-10-2011, 06:05 AM
Had the same issue, but when i tried to reboot whilst holding "d" i got the startup bong and audio has been working fine for the last 30 mins.. i have put my mac to sleep and woken up and all works, i haven't tried to restart as yet though..

Guntrain
10-06-2011, 09:40 AM
I had the same problem with my first gen Macbook Air. I used MGMDESIGN's midi fix twice with a re-boot, but to no avail. I then did it one last time and re-started holding down the D key. I got the start-up chime and all sound seems to be fine now. Thank you all very much for your input in this forum! I was about ready to pack this old box off the Apple store. Thanks again! :)

kfmcmahon
11-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi,

I had this exact problem about a year ago and tried all the safe boot/pram reset/os reinstall with NO LUCK...I ended up replacing the audio cable with help from ifixit.com

Fast forward to yesterday when it happened again!:Shouting:

This time I tried all the reset measures and the MIDI reset and the headphone trick again to no avail....so I tried just unscrewing the back case and detaching and reattaching the audio cable (not getting a new one) and voila...it WORKED!!

So before you go to the apple store and have them charge you $300 for this audio cable fix just go to ifixit.com and look up the instructions on how to change the audio cable for the MBA , but i didn't change it (this time) just detach/reattached especially step 7 the"audio-out connector board"...

pawky
04-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Big thanks to MGMDESIGN for solving the problem for me.
i tried everything to try fix my 'no output device found' problem.
reinstalled twice even

in the end his technique worked for me
i've edited it a bit to make it easier to do it correctly

Step Four: on the MIDI page there will be the IAC Drive. If it Greyed Out, Select and click on “Add Devices”.
Step Five: double click on the IAC Drive, If the word BUS is in this box select and remove.
FINALLY RESTART.

I really hope this fixes the problem for others as it's immensely frustrating!

Good luck

Nickchanel
10-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Thank you for the clarification. I guess I am so use to being attacked in other forums (mainly for being a macophile) that I get my hackles up to easily. So I apologize for my bad.:Oops::Oops::Blushing:

I have to say a thank you for your solution. It did work, for about 2 minutes, which means that it's a good one, but something else might be going on with my Mac.

Do you have any suggestion/idea on how to rectify this? I was extremely excited when the fix worked initially, and given that it did work at first, I'm guessing that there may be a corrupt file or something similar that stopped the solution working.

Out of interest, when I did the Audio Midi change s suggested, although I could delete the bus, and check the device online box, I had to close the app. The "Apply" option was grayed out and not available? Could this explain the temporary nature of the change?

Best wishes!!

ttzary
10-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Have the same problem, followed the steps, still no sound. Any suggestions?

Nickchanel
10-31-2012, 05:53 AM
Have the same problem, followed the steps, still no sound. Any suggestions?

I bought a USB sound card for £2 on Ebay, and it works. An internal cable would cost £60 to repair, and I guess that I'll do that at some point soon.

jrpointer
03-07-2016, 05:31 PM
I just purchased a used Macbook Air that had this problem and I fixed it by doing the following:

Search Google for UA-25EX drivers. This is an audio interface that I own from Edirol (Oddly enough this worked without even plugging in my interface)

Install this driver and restart your Mac

BOOM!

Works! ;-)

For some odd reason I believe this issue happened after upgrading my Macbook to El Capitan. I do technical support and I'm also a developer and I'm betting this is a software issue. I tried everything from reloading the Kext files to removing pref files and PRAM. This seemed to do the trick even without plugging in my interface.

Let me know if this helps anyone.