Extracting Music from CD's

F

Fomer

Not sure if this is the right place.

But one thing I love about computers, I'd consider maybe my favorite feature. Is the having a bunch of mp3's and sitting back and listening to them without having to put in the cd to change bands.

File sharing is neat, but it is evil. I have used it for over a year now on my windows machine. And I have just uninstalled do the the fear of the RIAA. (side note: I have deleted all illegal mp3's and kazaa, if the RIAA caught me at one time using Kazaa can I still be held accountable. I didn't know it was illegal until all this fuss and muss and I am underage.)

And I find apple music store neat, but not neat enough to download songs I already have cd's of for .99 so my question is. Is there a type of program I could un-burn a cd to my mac. Like pop in my cd and extract the files so they would then be stored on my mac.

This is one of those switcher factors I am still struggling with.

Also if I was forced to use the evil world of File Sharing on my Mac is it ok to download songs you have cds of or is that still illegal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Actually you can burn your cd's to mp3's by using iTunes

OP
F

Fomer

Murlyn said:
Actually you can burn your cd's to mp3's by using iTunes

Awesome, as always thanks for the very speedy reply.

If anyone has any knowledge of the RIAA thing I really need that answered as well, I been losing sleep over that. :sealed:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They're not going to bother you, unless you are sharing the music.. the people that download music are the last people they'll go after and the first are the people sharing the music.. which if I remember correctly, is going to take a little over 1200 years or something like that :)

OP
F

Fomer

Thanks for the reply. :D I didn't share music for the first 5 months. And then someone chewed me out for downloading and not sharing so I started. But overall I'd say I've had maybe 70 songs downloaded from me. But not in around 2 months and I don't have anything on my computer right now, I think I will be dead and gone in 1200 years. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoops guess I was wrong about how long it would take!

Here's a nice little link: theinquirer (outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Haha, They wont ever go after everyone, just the major guys who are sharing loads! like 10,000 or most songs.

OP
J

JazzTrpt

Fomer said:
Is there a type of program I could unburn a cd to my mac. Like pop in my cd and extract the files so they would then be stored on my mac.

Insert whatever cd you wanna rip to your hard drive and open iTunes. Then just highlight all of the songs and drag it to whatever playlist you want. It starts ripping them into mp3 format for you! You can change the format and quality before you rip in iTunes prefs under "importing".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RIAA may have sued the wrong (Mac) person

Source: MacMinute.com

RIAA may have sued the wrong (Mac) person (outdated link removed)
September 24, 2003 - 19:15 EDT The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has withdrawn a lawsuit (outdated link removed) against a 66-year-old sculptor and Mac user who claims never to have downloaded a song or even file-sharing software. "Sarah Seabury Ward, of Newbury, Mass., and her husband use their computer to e-mail with children and grandchildren... They use a Macintosh, which cannot even run the Kazaa file-sharing service they are accused of using illegally," reports AP. Ward was one of 261 defendants sued by the recording industry this month for illegal Internet file-sharing. She was accused of illegally sharing more than 2,000 songs.

My Comments: Too funny.. makes you wonder :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Man they need to find something else to do with their time!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.