Problems with Linksys WRT310N

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I was hoping you could give me some advice with this problem. So right now, I am currently running a Linksys WRT54GS v.5 router. My iMac and MBP all connect wirelessly to the router, which is connected to my DSL modem (Verizon is my ISP). I have been using this setup for months with no problems. Now, here is the problem. I am attempting to switch over to the Linksys WRT310N, but I am having zero luck. I ran the Linksys setup wizard that was recently released for the Mac, and everything goes smoothly until it comes to establishing an internet connection. The iMac and MBP recognize the network that the 310N is broadcasting, but it does not seem to be able to establish an internet connection. I've tried messing around with the web browser setup as well, but with no luck. I'm lost, and am not very well-versed when it comes to wireless networking and wireless internet setup, so I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never messed with that new Linksys WRT3100N but do you have your settings correct for DSL? Are they exactly the same as with the old router? Does your DSL require a username and password to log in?

OP
C
Reaction score
I have never messed with that new Linksys WRT3100N but do you have your settings correct for DSL? Are they exactly the same as with the old router? Does your DSL require a username and password to log in?

I honestly do not know. Don't most DSL services use PPoE? If so, I tried setting up the router using that format. I plugged my modem directly into the iMac and accessed its web-based setup page. I got some of the information from that page, and then tried setting up the router again by plugging the modem into the router and then I ran an ethernet cable from the router to the computer. This didn't help. I am thinking that I am not gathering the information and applying it properly. That really is the only reason that this is not working. If you could, could you walk me through how to gather the information? I would really appreciate that. Also, my DSL does not require a username and password to log in. The only time I need the password and username for the DSL is when I want to access certain areas of the modem's web-based setup page.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.