OS 9 USB TomeViewer

M

macabody

Hi, I am not a computer newbie but I am new to Mac and require some advice. My neighbor has a G3 beige and I am trying to install a USB card to enable him to use a USB printer and digital camera with the G3. He is now running OS 9.2.2. The card shows up in the ASP as a multifunction device. I have looked on some forums and they advise deleting some extensions and replacing them with the same files extracted from the OS 9.1 update. I have downloaded, and decompressed the update. I have also installed TomeViewer but the “Installation Tome” does not show in the TomeViewer window. Also the icon shows as the diamond shaped icon, not the ‘Tome’ icon which is the book with a belt on it. In Windows I would think the 3 letter suffix [extension] was wrong. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

OP
B

Badger

1. Did you press the PMU (also called the CUDA) button after you installed the card?
2. What extensions? The latest USB card driver software is available from the Apple website. However 9.2.2 should install the latest version anyway. However, I checked my old Mac (6400/G3 upgrade) and I retro'd the card driver to 1.4.1 instead of the later 1.4.6. The url is: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31132
3. The diamond icon is a generic application icon. Rebuild the desktop and you should get the normal TomeViewer icon.

Also, what USB card are you installing? Some cards don't function properly because the PCI bus doesn't have enough power. Some 4 port cards will only work on 1 port.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.