• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just ordered a mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Blackbook, 4GB memory, 250GB HD
I just ordered a black 2.4GHz Macbook and I got a free Ipod touch. I cant wait to recieve them. Im glad I found this forum, I've been reading for a while and finally decide to join.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Congratulations on getting your MacBook, you will not be disappointed. The free iPod touch makes the deal even sweeter. Where did you buy your computer from?

jah

Reaction score
i had shipping problems

call apple support and research what you need to keep as records to get your rebates etc, 4example keep box shipping printoouts etc.

keep in mind they print "APPE" on these boxes and they get stolen fast.

do you have to be there in person to accept the pkg?

putting that aside, when you get the stuff concentrate on the basics, get time machine running etc.

OP
thetruth
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought the mac on apple.com

Someone over 18 years has to be at my house and sign for the package in order to be delivered. I can't wait to recieve the mac I've been wanting one for over a year and now I finally have one.

I may sound dumb asking, but what is time machine?

Also, what do you guys recommend to run Windows XP, parallels or boot camp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
Congrats on your Mac purchase and welcome to the forums!

Time Machine is a backup application that's part of the OSX Leopard suite.

I can't give you an accurate answer for Parallels vs Boot Camp, for I do not have a newer Mac (but I will be upgrading to Leopard soon). But from what I've read - others correct me if I am wrong - with Boot Camp, you have the option of booting up in OSX or Windows only. With Parallels, you can run both OS's at the same time.

Good luck to you. If you have more questions, just ask. There are lots of helpful info here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Congrats and welcome! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.5GHz C2D, 6 Gigs Ram (Yes) 320 7200 RPM..and much more!
I bought the mac on apple.com

Someone over 18 years has to be at my house and sign for the package in order to be delivered. I can't wait to recieve the mac I've been wanting one for over a year and now I finally have one.

I may sound dumb asking, but what is time machine?

I've never tried to use Parallels, but i've been stuck on VM Ware Fusion...it works wonders on my MacBook...but like the other guy said, if you want to use Bootcamp, you can either pick to boot up in either Windows, or Mac, not both. With VM Ware, you can have both OS's running.

But if you do this, I HIGHLY recommend having more then 2 gigs of memory, at least 3. I have 4 gigs in my macbook and when i'm running both, it hogs almost all my memory, but both OS's still run fast as anything!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
VMWare is much better than parallels - but both are added costs given that they are not bundled.

Upgrade to 2GB or 4GB memory - we sell the kits on our site - pm me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
YEEEEY!! Good 4 you!! I have my first mac for over a month now and i LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! Hope you'll do too... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard
How did you get the free ipod touch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook--2.4ghz--4gb RAM--250gb HD__iPod Touch 8gb
u get the free ipod touch through the education discount/deal

Reaction score
there should be a picture saying "buy a mac for university/college get a free ipod"

click that, it'll ask for your state/province and university/college and then you select it blah blah blah, select your computer and tham BAM you get the educational deal lol

OP
thetruth
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like I'll have to do some more reading to see which program to use to run Windows. I plan on upgrading to 4GB ram in about two months. I want to get used to OSX first. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is this educational deal compatible with England and Sixth form college? I happen to also have an ipod touch on my list of things I want.

jah

Reaction score

bootcamp, comes with the mac, you must reboot to enter xp or vista.

parallels, works fine with microsoft products, not so good with linux such as ubuntu

vmware; subjective but kinda rough compared to parallels but you can run almost any microsoft or linux os.
vmware... i am not able to get a common area on my hd setup between the mac osx and ubuntu linux, this is an example of rough.
you can have an icon in mac osx that starts a specific application in microsoft xp. it will overlay the mac osx desktop just like a mac application. you can have several operating systems running at the same time. all applications will share the networking, bluetooth, kb&mouse etc.

parallels or vmware, you will want to consider 4g memory. buy memory from newegg.com, ~$70 is a little more expensive but they tend not to disappoint. the 2g oem memory that comes with your macbook, i just gave it away on this forum to recycle it.

i have little luv for itunes, i run mediamonkey in xp.
i syn my old pda using activesync, need xp for this too
this is the only microsoft apps i use
osx 10.5.3 will access a microsoft network ok

OP
thetruth
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
jah, thanks for the clarification.

My Macbook is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apparently the UK education discount is for over 18s only. D:

OP
thetruth
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My mac and iPod arrive right when I was about the leave for school. Now I have to wait until I get home to open it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook--2.4ghz--4gb RAM--250gb HD__iPod Touch 8gb
Apparently the UK education discount is for over 18s only. D:

yeah its the same in the U.S., its for students going to college/parents buying for a child entering college or an employee of a university or a k-12 school...i think i got 'em all, lol,...those are who are elligible for the discount

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a reason to go to university lol

And I hope thetruth likes his purchase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.