win startup issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz core2 duo 17-inch macbook pro, 2Gb ram, 512 Mb Nvidia GeForce 8600
I'm running windows XP pro sp2 with boot camp 2.1 on my macbook pro and I'm having problems starting windows. there's about a 1/5 chance windows will boot without issues, and the rest of the time it stops after the loading screen, just before the screen goes black to change video resolutions. it starts up fine in safe mode, and mac OS boots without problems. I'd rather not format the windows partition if possible, having just finished getting all my settings the way I like them (it takes me a while, because I'm picky)

I've searched around on the internet quite a lot, and am unable to even find anyone with a similar problem, let alone a solution (it seems most people with MBP/win lockups get them after windows boots)
many, many thanks in advance for any help I can get :)

PS I didn't want to start another thread for this, but I'm running into what seems to be a common but unsolved issue with the wireless card/drivers,which causes windows to lag randomly. is this still unsolved, or am I just terrible at finding things?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
CaptainOblivion,

Not sure this would work on the Mac, but you could attempt a Windows installation repair. That would involve starting the Boot Camp Assistant as if you were doing an initial Windows install, and when you get to the install screen with an R on it (for Recovery Console), bypass it and keep going. You'll get to a second screen with a R on it (for Repair). Select it and it will continue on like a normal install but will repair any contaminated files, etc. Takes about the same time as a regular install (45 minutes). You will not lose any Windows settings.

Along the way just continue install on the original partition.

Hope this might help you out, but since, as you say, it is not normal situation, it could fail. Then you might just have to redo the Windows partition and start over.

Sorry for your problems... and I can't respond to the question about wireless card/drivers. Mine installed and seems to work well...

Noel

OP
CaptainOblivion
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz core2 duo 17-inch macbook pro, 2Gb ram, 512 Mb Nvidia GeForce 8600
thanks for the response ^_^

I've been holding back on a repair as I've generally not had much success along that rout (granted, that was with other computers)

guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and risk starting over. all in all, I suppose it's not the end of the world ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.