iTunes created folders.

D

Desolate One

While browsing my archived CDs in Finder I noticed that it misplaced a couple of my CDs into the Compilation folder. While I do have a few compilation disks archived and placed in the appropriate folder by iTunes, there were a couple bands that also got placed there as well. Is there an easy way to correct this and have a folder created w/ the artist's names? Will manualy creating the folder in Finder and moving the tracks screw with my library?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
yes, I think it will...

Check the information under iTunes, have you mistakenly selected the 'part of a compilation checkbox' ???

I can't see why the files would be there otherwise??

OP
D

Desolate One

I never even noticed such a checkbox, just inserted the disk and clicked Import (of course after selecting the format & bitrate in preferences). And if it was selected wouldn't all of my CDs be archived in the Compilation folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No, the information I mean, is the Id3 tag information.
To access it, ctrl-click (or right-) a song in your library and select 'get info'.

There you can manually enter information about the artist(s) album, year, genre etc.

My guess is that you are automatically receiving this information from the gracenote database (an online database that stores info on CD's that iTunes can look up - so you don't have to manually input it), INCLUDING a check in the 'compilations' checkbox.

As a result, iTunes treats those songs that Gracenote identifies as 'compilations' appropriately and puts them in a different folder.

I personally don't use the checkbox and instead store my compilations as follows:

Song Name = "Track title - Track performer"
Artist = Soundtrack / Mix CD
Album = Compilation title

OP
D

Desolate One

Ahhh, I see wot you mean. Makes more sense now! Well It's not bothersome at all since when I search for a CD I look at the album titles. Just kinna stumbled across it last night in Finder. I can live with it. ;)

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.