2GB vs. 4 GB memory

Reaction score
Ok, so I go to the Apple store last night all ready to purchse my MacBook and then the guy mentions... "oh, we can transfer your files from your PC notebook for free but you have to do it at the time of purchase." I figured that this was a good reason to wait another day or two and go back to the store... BUT not today... they are only selling the iPhone apparently...

Anyways, one question that remains. If I will be running Leopard and Windows XP through parallels will 2GB memory be sufficient or should I spring the extra $200 and get 4GB (wasn't really planning on spending all this extra money:))???

Thanks!!!

P.S. Soooo anxious to get back to the store... I got a run down of all the software and I think that iPhoto (and maybe iWeb) alone is worth the purchase.... cannot wait to PLLLLAAAAAYYYY!!!!!

Reaction score
Definatly do not get the extra RAM from Apple, if once you get the macbook you feel like you want extra RAM, get it from crucial.com, it will be much cheaper.

OP
D
Reaction score
And easy to install?? I am assuming you just pop the bottom off and plug-in the new ram??

Reaction score
And easy to install?? I am assuming you just pop the bottom off and plug-in the new ram??
It's very simple. Try youtube and there quite a lot of videos with putting RAM in Macbook Pro. Now you know how to do it and save money, isn't it wise? :-D

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks!! I was not excited about $200... when I am sure crucial sells it for pennies :)

Reaction score
Wow, great timing!

Just like you, I am very new to the Macbook and Apple. I bought my Macbook just last week...

A 4GB kit from Apple is $400.00. <yikes> I bought a 4GB kit from Crucial (Shipped and taxed equaled $116.00!)

Youtube video was right on...I changed the RAM in less than 5 minutes...Turn lock on bottom of notbook to the open position, pop-out battery, use a tiny screw driver to remove three screws, pull-off an "L" bracket that the three screws are holding and you will see two levers...Move both to the left and your RAM will pop-out. Remove the "old" RAM, click-in the new ones, reinstall bracket and battery and you are good-to-go...

OP
D
Reaction score
PERFECT!! I will purchase the MacBook with 2 GB RAM and buy the 4 GB kit if I feel like I need to...

May I ask what you are using your MacBook for to need 4 GB???

Reaction score
To be honest, nothing yet...:D

I bought the Macbook mostly for Garageband...Everything I read said it benefits from faster memory and a faster HD...

I just installed the memory now because it was pretty reasonable and I figured now was as good a time as any...

It may be my imagination, but the Macbook seemed pretty darn fast with the new memory last night...

Reaction score
thats odd, when i went yesterday the guy gave me "200$ off my ram" and i wanted to up it to 4gb.. so thats a full discount.

OP
D
Reaction score
That is correct...it is the student discount (which I qualify for) he said something like that to me but then I sidetracked... I was confused about the final cost. If I could get 4GB for $1,299... it might not be so bad...

Reaction score
Does it matter how soon one installs RAM? I just got my MB about 3 days ago, and won't have the opportunity to install RAM until mid August...Is that okay if I do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There's no statute of limitations on when you can upgrade hardware. You can install it whenever you want.

LOL, I've gotta admit, that was funny :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.