8mm to USB cable

Reaction score
Switcher here who just got my 2.4 macbook. I have a 1yr old Sony camcorder that records to (I believe) 8mm tapes. I know, but my mom bought it for me, I would have gone digital. Can I buy or find a cable that will plug in the AV's and convert to USB or some other way to get to my Mac? Thanks for the help guys, nice to have a forum, especially for a newb like me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Switcher here who just got my 2.4 macbook. I have a 1yr old Sony camcorder that records to (I believe) 8mm tapes. I know, but my mom bought it for me, I would have gone digital. Can I buy or find a cable that will plug in the AV's and convert to USB or some other way to get to my Mac? Thanks for the help guys, nice to have a forum, especially for a newb like me.

You'll actually need an analog capture device of some sort. Unfortunately, it's not just a case of buying the right adapter - there is some processing that needs to happen to convert from analog to digital. This is an example.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you, thought there may be more to it than that, my best interest may be buying a dig. camcorder, I'm sure you must lose some information in the adaptation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.