VMware install from USB??

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
The CD drive is broken in my macbook so I can't insert the cd.
I've made and iso image and even extracted the cd onto my USB stick but VMware says no dice.

Any ideas?

Can it be done?

What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
J_K,

Can you put your hands on (maybe borrow) an external USB or firewire CD drive? That would probably work for you. I think the CD may have some code in it to avoid exact copies, which would make the USB stick off bounds... The ISO may tell on itself...

Noel

Reaction score
Can you download it from the VMWare site and install it from there? I am pretty sure that the latest update is the full version, you just need to enter your serial number to activate it. Might be worth a try.

I installed it off the CD, then I was directed to download a 170MB update. When I updated it was like the original setup but all my information was already entered so I just had to say, "Ok."

Reaction score
What is it that your trying to do exactly?

Your running Windows and want to install VMWare onto Windows from a USB drive
or
Are you trying to install Windows from a USB drive onto VMWare?

If you are referring to loading windows into VMWare via a USB drive you can do this. Keep the Windows as an ISO file and put it directly on the USB Drive. Within VMWare you should be able to start a virtual machine and within the setup have it pull from the ISO to install. I have done it a few times.

Let us know if you get it running.

OP
J_K

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Noels;
No cd drive available. I've ordered a new one but don't know when thats likely to arrive.

Lucion;
There doesn't appear to be any copies of XP up on the VMware site. They're all Linux and stuff like that.

Dark Stranger;
I'm trying to install VMware onto my macbook so I can run windows on it. There are a few things I still need windows for...

I've tried installing directly from the iso on the stick.
I've tried copying all the files into a folder on the usb stick.
And I've tried moving both lots onto the mac hardrive and installing from there.

[charles bronson]No dice[/charles bronson]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
No CD drive - not a problem:

You can download the latest version of VMware fusion from the VMware site. When you install it - it will ask for your seriel number and away you go.

Windows can indeed be installed from an ISO on a USB device - Win 2003 installed and booted in 10 minutes when using a USB based iso - I was well impressed. When your setting up your VM you get to the last step which says something like start VM now and then there is a radio button choice to make - choose the second option which allows you to locate your .iso file.

OP
J_K

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried for another couple of hours but still no joy.

Not to worry though.
New CD drive turned up today and thanks to ifixit.com, it's all installed and working.

Have to try from the CD now..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.